Buy Tickets or call +61 2 8215 4600
|Event||Music of Count Basie and Duke Ellington|
|Ensemble||JLCO with Wynton Marsalis|
|Date||Saturday, February 23rd, 2019|
|Venue||Sydney Opera House|
|Calendar||Google Calendar iCal|
Basie and Ellington were bandleaders, colleagues, composers and celebrities who wrote dozens of timeless standards and elevated jazz to the position of high art.
Ellington made tunes like Mood Indigo, Take the A Train, It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing) and many others smash hits. Count Basie was a big band pioneer, composer and arranger who created a unique sound for his ensembles.
Both men led incredible bands over their long careers, boasting some of the best players of their day, a who’s who of American popular music.
Trumpeter Wynton Marsalis leads one of the most sensational big bands of our day. He and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra pay homage to the greatest jazzmen to ever swing in a red-hot night of great tunes and improvisation.
- Jason Marsalis – drums
- Carlos Henriquez – bass
- Dan Nimmer – piano
- Ryan Kisor – trumpet
- Marcus Printup – trumpet
- Kenny Rampton – trumpet
- Sam Chess – trombone
- Chris Crenshaw – trombone
- Vincent Gardner – trombone
- Victor Goines – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Ted Nash – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute, piccolo
- Sherman Irby – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute
- Camille Thurman – tenor sax, soprano sax, flute
- Paul Nedzela – baritone sax, bass clarinet