July 20, 2010
Silent Film with Live Musical Performance by Wynton Marsalis, Cecile Licade and 10-piece Jazz Ensemble.
Directed by Dan Pritzker.
Cast: Jackie Earle Haley, Shanti Lowry, Anthony Coleman
Shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond as a modern re-imagining of early silent film, LOUIS is an homage to Louis Armstrong, Charlie Chaplin, beautiful women and the birth of American music. The grand Storyville bordellos, alleys and cemeteries of 1907 New Orleans provide a backdrop of lust, blood and magic for 6 year old Louis (Anthony Coleman) as he navigates the colorful intricacies of life in the city. Young Louis’s dreams of playing the trumpet are interrupted by a chance meeting with a beautiful and vulnerable girl named Grace (Lowry) and her baby, Jasmine. Haley, in a performance reminiscent of the great comic stars of the silent screen, plays the evil Judge Perry who is determined not to let Jasmine’s true heritage derail his candidacy for governor.
- Cecile Licad – piano
- Carlos Henriquez – bass
- Dan Nimmer – piano
- Ali Jackson – drums, tambourine
- Sherman Irby – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute
- Victor Goines – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Marcus Printup – trumpet
- Ted Nash – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute, piccolo
- Kurt Bacher – alto sax, soprano sax
- Vincent Gardner – trombone
- Wycliffe Gordon – trombone
- Andy Farber – tenor sax, clarinet