|Event||Celebrating Duke Ellington|
|Ensemble||JLCO with Wynton Marsalis|
|Date||Thursday, April 25th, 2013 – Saturday, April 27th, 2013|
|Address||10 Columbus Circle|
|Location||New York, NY, United States|
Since 1988, when Wynton Marsalis coalesced his septet with Duke Ellington alumni Jimmy Hamilton, Willie Cook, Jimmy Woode, Norris Turney, Britt Woodman, and Joe Temperley (still an active member of the JLCO) to form the first edition of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Ellington’s oeuvre has been fundamental to JALC’s mission and conception. Continuing in this vein, the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis will draw from its deep well of Ellingtonia, rendering the maestro’s essence and his centrality to American music with a forceful, idiomatic clarity that reflects the JLCO’s abiding immersion in his language.
Free pre-concert festival, April 25 at 6:30pm.
Free pre-concert discussion nightly at 7pm.
- Dan Nimmer – piano
- Ali Jackson – drums, tambourine
- Carlos Henriquez – bass
- James Chirillo – guitar
- Ryan Kisor – trumpet
- Marcus Printup – trumpet
- Kenny Rampton – trumpet
- Chris Crenshaw – trombone
- Elliot Mason – trombone
- Vincent Gardner – trombone
- Victor Goines – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Ted Nash – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute, piccolo
- Sherman Irby – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute
- Walter Blanding – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet
- Joe Temperley – baritone sax, bass clarinet