|Ensemble||JLCO with Wynton Marsalis and New Zealand Symphony Orchestra|
|Date||Thursday, March 10th, 2016 – Friday, March 11th, 2016|
|Time||7:30pm – 10:00pm|
|Venue||Michael Fowler Centre|
|Address||111 Wakefield St|
|Location||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Venue Phone||+64 4 473 0149|
It’s swing time. The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (JLCO) with Wynton Marsalis are the gold standard of the genre — 15 of the finest jazz soloists and ensemble players in the world. And for this Festival residency Wellington gets them all to itself.
Together, they’re on a mission to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for jazz through performance, education and advocacy.
“Jazz is not merely music, jazz is America,” JLCO leader Wynton Marsalis has said. At the centre of this concert of orchestral pieces is his third symphony, which takes you on a journey through American jazz history.
Commissioned by the Berliner Philharmoniker, the New York Philharmonic, the Los Angeles Philharmonic and London’s Barbican Centre, Swing Symphony is a “stunning achievement” (The Arts Desk) that traverses the first half of the 20th century from ragtime, through the big band era, to bebop and beyond.
With the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra conducted by Matthew Coorey, the other pieces in this all-American programme are Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring and Leonard Bernstein’s West Side Story Dances.
Feel the force when these world-class orchestras come together for two nights of glorious music.
- Carlos Henriquez – bass
- Ali Jackson – drums, tambourine
- Dan Nimmer – piano
- Kenny Rampton – trumpet
- Ryan Kisor – trumpet
- Marcus Printup – trumpet
- Elliot Mason – trombone
- Vincent Gardner – trombone
- Chris Crenshaw – trombone
- Victor Goines – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Ted Nash – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute, piccolo
- Sherman Irby – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute
- Walter Blanding – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet
- Paul Nedzela – baritone sax, bass clarinet
March 10, 11, 2016
SET I (New Zealand Symphony Orchestra):
- Appalachian Spring (by Aaron Copland)
- West Side Story Dances (by Leonard Bernstein)
SET II (JLCO & NZSO):
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. I, St. Louis to New Orleans
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. II, All-American Pep
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. III, Midwestern Moods
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. IV, Manhattan to LA
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. V, Modern Modes & the Midnight Moan
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. VI, Think Space: Theory
- Swing Symphony: Mvt. VII, The Low Down Up on High
- C Jam Blues
- Happy Birthday for Matthew Coorey’s Mum (March 11 2016)