October 19, 2012
Washington University’s campus – St. Louis
On October 20, Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra joined the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for a performance of Marsalis’ Swing Symphony (Symphony No. 3).
The day before, members of Jazz at Lincoln Center visited WUSTL’s 560 Music Center to conduct a clinic with students from the East St. Louis High School Jazz Band. In 2011, the band was a finalist in Lincoln Center’s annual Essentially Ellington competition.
Afterwards, Marsalis and the full Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra joined the high school players for a private concert. In the audience were an additional 600 high school jazz musicians from around the area, invited by Jazz St. Louis, as well as jazz players from WUSTL’s Department of Music in Arts & Sciences.
- Ali Jackson – drums, tambourine
- Dan Nimmer – piano
- Carlos Henriquez – bass
- Kenny Rampton – trumpet
- Ryan Kisor – trumpet
- Marcus Printup – trumpet
- Chris Crenshaw – trombone
- Vincent Gardner – trombone
- Elliot Mason – trombone
- Victor Goines – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Ted Nash – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute, piccolo
- Sherman Irby – alto sax, soprano sax, clarinet, flute
- Walter Blanding – tenor sax, soprano sax, clarinet
- Tony Lustig – baritone sax