News

Photoreport: Wynton playing for Oscar Peterson

Last night at Carnegie Hall, Wynton and other jazz greats celebrated the career of Oscar Peterson at the venerable concert theatre where his 1949 debut propelled him onto the international stage.
He played “Just Friends” in a wonderful quartet, with Mulgrew Miller (piano), Christian McBride (bass) and Lewis Nash (drums).

Unfortunately, Oscar Peterson was not well enough to witness last night’s spectacle and the near-capacity crowd of 2,700, including 50 guests of the Canadian Consulate, which helped sponsor the event. However, wife Kelly and daughter Celine were in attendance.

“Even though he couldn’t be here, this evening – he is quite disappointed – he sends his heartfelt thanks,” said Kelly Peterson, who wiped away tears several times during the concert.

Wynton Marsalis performs during the all star tribute to Oscar Peterson
Wynton performs during the all star tribute to Oscar Peterson. (AP Photo/Dima Gavrysh)

Wynton Marsalis performs during the all star tribute to Oscar Peterson

Wynton Marsalis performs during the all star tribute to Oscar Peterson

« Previous Entry

Next Entry »

Discussion

Discussion has ended on this entry.

1. Just noticed the news about Oscar Peterson. A giant has fallen. He will be missed.

Bob Lyons on Dec 25th, 2007 at 1:12am

2. This is a great match…Oscar Peterson and Wynton Marsalis are some of the greatest Jazz musicians. I am an aspiring jazz trumpet player, being only 15, and Wynton really inspires me. Oscar can jazz it up also! This is a great pick with great musicians!

Stay Jazzy

*Amanda*

Amanda on Jul 4th, 2007 at 2:14pm

3. I just descovered the delights of Oscar Peterson. What a master of mood and swing. I love to listen to him when I need to get a chill on! Each time the music mellows my soul!

Thanks Oscar for bringing us you.
    me

me on Jun 27th, 2007 at 12:21am

4. oh, yeah, that’s logical!!

Karen on Jun 26th, 2007 at 2:43pm

5. I meant with ‘OP’ Oscar Peterson, the pianist.

Servaas Verbrugge on Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:14am

6. OB, the singer, is fine. It was Yacub, the eldest, who had the illness. He came back and now he is going strong. Maybe it’s those healing vibes from this music!! That and his connection with Wynton. Those guys have a job to do with this, it’s like a mission.

Karen on Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:07am

7. Wish I could have attended the show.
    Does anyone know the nature of OP’s illness? I noticed how much older and frail he looked last time I saw him live in June 2006, even compared to just a year earlier. I hope his performing days are not over yet.

Servaas Verbrugge on Jun 26th, 2007 at 9:08am

8. What a teriffic talent. Just received “From the Plantation to the Penitentiary” as a Father’s day gift.
    His music resonates from the soul which truly reflects American Culture. He is right up there with Sachmo Armstrong. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the same respect for jazz as the Europeans.

Steve Brown on Jun 17th, 2007 at 9:41pm

9. Great photos what a great tribute to a wonderful man! Hope Oscar gets stronger and better soon!

Neil King on Jun 10th, 2007 at 8:10am