Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Flight of the Bumblebee HELP

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-04-14

PM

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum. It’s very neat! I was hoping someone could help me find a piece of music. It’s a jazz version of Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Flight of the Bumblebee”. Not the short, mostly trumpet version on the Classic Wynton CD, but a 10 to 12 minute upbeat version with horn(s), drums, bass, & piano. I heard it first about 5 or 6 years ago and have been searching for it ever since. Wynton Marsalis’ name keeps coming up from friends, but all I can find is his very short (1 minute) classical version that only features his trumpet. Is anyone familiar with the “Flight of the Bumblebee” version I am referring to? I am pretty sure it is Wynton Marsalis, but that may not even be true.

Thanks for any help!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2007-02-28

PM

Hi, I’m also new to this forum!

I know that Randy Waldman have recorded Flight Of The Bumblebee w/ Arturo Sandoval on the cd Wigged Out! And Al Hirt have the Bumblebee like Green Hornet. I have all of Wyntons cd’s and he only plays the classical one!

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-05-03

PM

Can’t help you with the full version of “Flight” however there is one name missing in this link and his solo is the definitive version… Raphael Mendez

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-06-25

PM

I’m not quite sure if the original version had upbeat version with horn(s), drums, bass, & piano. The song has also appeared in various arrangements for piano (Cziffra made a well-known one), for violin and piano, for brass ensemble, and many other instrumental combination. A flute and later, a clarinet, joins in the fun, though the orchestral soloists negotiating the myriad of notes at breakneck speed may consider it anything but fun. Eventually, the Russian-flavored counter theme, played throughout in the background by pizzicato strings, is played more emphatically by low, pizzicato strings against the buzzing and bustling strings. The whole piece, all two minutes or so of it, is brilliant and colorful, its music having an instant catchiness.

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

StephenC Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> I’m not quite sure if the original version had

> upbeat version with horn(s), drums, bass, & piano notes.

> The song has also appeared in various arrangements

> for piano (Cziffra made a well-known one), for

> violin and piano, for brass ensemble, and many

> other instrumental combination. A flute and later,

> a clarinet, joins in the fun, though the

> orchestral soloists negotiating the myriad of

> notes at breakneck speed may consider it anything

> but fun. Eventually, the Russian-flavored counter

> theme, played throughout in the background by

> pizzicato strings, is played more emphatically by

> low, pizzicato strings against the buzzing and

> bustling strings. The whole piece, all two minutes

> or so of it, is brilliant and colorful, its music

> having an instant catchiness.

I agree. There are a lot of version of this song and on how each musician played it with different instruments. I also heard the piano version of it and it is really great. The orchestra that plays together with the piano is just so thrilling. Personally, I think that is the best version I’ve ever heard.

Rank

Total Posts: 0

Joined 2013-12-03

PM

I think ur thinking of the green hornet theme