Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Embouchure troubles

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-02-19

PM

I have district solo and ensemble this Saturday and have noticed that I have been using too much pressure while playing over the past few weeks. It has resulted in me sounding like complete crap. Any tips to help me somewhat gain back what i had?

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-11-13

PM

First of all you should check where the mouthpiece is placed on your lips. Also you should practice consistantly. If you’re going to practice 2 hours one night you need to keep doing it. I have many embouchure tips. Just ask. Good luck

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

use your abs and stomach to support your air more. search for the wedge position of breathing, used by bobby shew.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

yamaha8335 Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> I have district solo and ensemble this Saturday

> and have noticed that I have been using too much

> pressure while playing over the past few weeks. It

> has resulted in me sounding like complete crap.

> Any tips to help me somewhat gain back what i had?

This is a seems like a late reply. So I hope that things worked out.

Simply stop using soo much pressure. Your overall goal, obviously is to play as effortlessly as you possibly can while sounding the best you possibly can.

Im not going to say use this style, this embouchure set or that one. Just play man.. Know what kind of sound you want to come out of the horn and work toward that. Abs, stomach support… blah blah blah. While that’s a relatively generalized statement and often over used, it would do you some good to understand the muscles that are a result of your breath control. Diaphragm, the muscles in the stomach, your throat, how you take in the air and expel it… etc etc etc. Yes efficient use of air is a must.

It could possibly be that you’re playing tooooo much. Yes we can do that believe it or not. Rest as long as you play. Rest as long as you play. Rest as long as you play. REST AS LONG AS YOU PLAY.

Get the point?

Yes, it could possibly be a situation where you’re allowing the mouthpiece to drift too far up on your lips. Thus, putting pressure on your upper lip. Thus, wearing you out much much faster. If you can free buzz, try out just buzzing a pitch, lightly place your finger on your lower lip, then lightly place it on your upper lip. You’ll instantly notice that your lips will keep buzzing if you play it on the lower lip, but once you place it on your upper lip, the vibration stops. If you must apply pressure, try to restrict that pressure to being on your lower lip area. However, do not over compensate for this by setting the mouthpiece too far down on your lips. As I assume you’re probably a young high school player, try to stick with a 50/50, upper and lower lip placement.

Im going to bet you’re letting the mouthpiece drift up and your in essence choking off your lips from actually being able to vibrate freely. And as a result you push the horn harder into your face trying to force things to work. You can’t do that…

Naturally, if you have a private teacher, address this concern with him. If you don’t have one, GET ONE!