Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Bessie Smith is inducted in the Nesuhi Ertegun Jazz Hall of Fame

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-12-10

PM

Peace and blessings to all Jazz enthusiasts,     

I went to New York City last weekend to see Paquito D’Rivera, at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Rose Theatre.  During the intermission, I had an opportunity to visit the Nesuhi Ertegun Jazz Hall of Fame, for the 2nd time. The Jazz Hall of Fame is a place where Jazz musicians are celebrated through a re-examination of some of their classic compositions and recordings.  I was so amazed and overwhelmed. I learn so much each time I visit.  With a touch of a button, the artist you select will appear on a screen.  You get a biography of the person as well as some good music.  I was very pleased to discover that Bessie Smith was recently inducted into the Jazz Hall of Fame.  Bessie Smith was the first major Blues and Jazz singer on record and one of the most powerful of all time. She was the highest paid female Blues singer in her day.  She spent a great deal of time in my hometown of Philadelphia and is buried in Sharon Hill, PA.  I am thankful for the Nesuhi Ertegun Jazz Hall of Fame for keeping her music alive.  I encourage all Jazz enthusiasts to go visit Jazz at Lincoln Center to see the hall of fame.  You will listen, learn and discover! 

Thank You Mr. Marsalis for keeping Jazz alive!.

Jazzically yours,

Phillyvocalist

“AKA” Lady Dale

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

Too bad there has never been a good bio written about Bessie.