Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Quincy Jones Calls Wynton out…

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

You’re not being rude you’re just following your assumptions…I do play, actually. Not only am I a trumpet player, I also make beats and freestyle with my friends- some of whom record and distribute. So you’re absolutely correct. It is hard to argue facts with people who do not play themselves…

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-10-25

PM

Back to the original post on this thread, I have to believe that it would have been a lot more productive for QJ to call WM at his home or at his job to discuss this, musician to musician.  To call another brotha out in the NY Post or the NY Daily News (same difference) like that… (shakes head…) was just not cool.  Much love and respect to both men and to the art of effective communication!

Rank

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

That’s the realest thing I’ve read on this post. That sums up the real issue. I agree.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-06-19

PM

The genius of Hip Hop is in how it protected its brand from outsiders . Most of Jazz’s problems today stem from the sad fact that too many lame claims to the origination and pioneering of the form have diluted the balls off the music relative to its natural successor Hip HOp.

Jazz has been culturally , institutionally, and economically raped due to uncle tom type mentalities and coercive institutional wannabees. It collectively lacks lyricists that sufficiently deliniate the most enchanting element of jazz ,BLACK ISMS !!! Inadequate representation of the brand priorities in the marketplace.

Hip Hop came thug with their syncopated AFRO sounding narco themed lyrics and protected their music and its presentation the same way they protect their drug corners in the hood. Now the cake is so huge they are becoming legitimate businessmen . Like NASCAR starting out as illegal drag racing or the mafia assimilating into the unions and whatnot.

Meanwhile broke ass ” real ” jazz ambles along saturated with punching bag mentalities and weird reverse racist narcissisms.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Seriously…?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

Broke ass?  Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival ended yesterday.  This year, they set a new record for attendence: 135,000 people over 9 days.  With 125,000 people last year, the economy of Rochester was infused with over $175 MILLION dollars.  That’s $175,000,000 for the Greater Rochester area in 9 days. 

Broke ass, Terminator?  Go learn about Jazz.

Rank

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

It’s really laughable how boldly people type…why get so emotional about this? If you disagree with someone, disagree. If you agree then agree. However, don’t let your bloodpressures, respectively, raise enough to speak to each other the way you do. It’s not worth it. Besides that, this isn’t a “hip hop isn’t jazz” forum. Nor is it a “hip hop is jazz” forum. If you’re that bored, look at youtube and scream something back at the computer screen…but seriously, you all make me laugh. Thank you.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

You tube doesn’t scream back.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-07-06

PM

WOW….IT’S REAL INTERESTING HOW PPL CAN GET SO WORKED UP OVER OTHER PPLS BUSINESS…BE IT RIGHT OR WRONG…WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE..WE ALL HAVE OPINONS.. AND THAT’S WHAT SHOULD MATTER AND BE RESPECTED…A DEBATE IS ONE THING..AN ARGUMENT IS ANOTHER…PEACE, RESPECT AND BLESSINGS…INDIE

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

This thread has went on far longer than I ever thought or intended it to last!

Rank

Joined 2009-06-19

PM

lol . Rochester to the rescue !!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

Well, I gotta say something. 

But as for Quincy…  He really did something extraordinary with Michael Jackson.  And I think that I found a significant link there on the Off The Wall cd.  At least it helped me understand the nature of their “cross-over” and the link deep inside jazz and pop, which led into hip hop.  It’s those demos.  Michaels demos are African percussion songs.  His earliest solo hits were stylized polyrhythm tunes.  That’s deep.  Then Quincy crossed them over to pop instrumentation. 

Did you listen?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

What’s Quincy tryin’ to cross Wynton over?  Wynton samples spliced in…  hee hee.  I’d really like to see Wynton dance though.  He should be on Dancing with the Stars.

Rank

Joined 2009-06-19

PM

I like Wynton’s hustle. Jazz lacks enough Wyntons ( who would challenge each other’s rhetoric)  to even begin to be significant at this point in history . Because it lacks social cache. Because it stopped being cool to the mass consumer. Because it stopped deciding that being cool to the mass consumer was important. Because it’s current soul is all about contemporary financial martyrdom and yesteryear emotional revisionisms. All this pioneered by pseudo intellectuals that managed to choke out jazz’s most central cultural flavors for the sake of inadequacy and timidity. Like Hercules strangling the Earth son by lifting him off the ground, disconnecting the opponent from his mystical source of invulnerabilty . Keep swingin.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Thanks Ashley,  I like the way that you restated what I had previously voiced in an earlier thread!  Like I stated this thread has well outlived it’s welcome!