Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Quincy Jones Calls Wynton out…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

One thing that I love is ABC.  They are my favorite network for a few reasons.  I watched a little CBS and noticed that they don’t have scores reinforcing the feelings behind the scenes in their shows, well at least the few that I saw.  When I watched Men in Trees in September/October 2006 on ABC, they played a Louis Armstrong ballad when Marin and Jack were hanging out on the week that JALC did their Hot Fives program.  Another Saturday morning, exactly May 6, 2006, I woke up in NYC and watched Good Morning America.  That weekend JALC and Odadaa were performing Congo Square.  GMA had a story on about Ron Claibourne and his DNA heritage leading him back to Ghana.  They showed scenes from his trip to Ghana and all that.  And there I was sitting there with Ghanaians from Odadaa.  Also that week, the Alias crew had to make a drop in Accra, Ghana on Wednesday night. 

But what does that have to do with Jazz and Hip Hop?  So, this week, I was watching the Dancing with the Stars results show on Wed, due to the pre-emption by the election results show on Tuesday, and the band was playing for the dancers.  Their band is good, (but their costumes, wow, if only I had 1% of their budget…) and they started to break it down in one section in a late 70s/early 80s kind of way.  That made me think about three people: Herbie Hancock, Nile Rodgers, and Quincy Jones.  How did they redifine the music at that point?  That is when the change started to reach the airwaves.  It’s like Herbie was mixing in electronics with his acoustic or just going straight electric.  And that Nile Rodgers, if he did your mixing, you were a star.  So it seems to me that their power to arrange, blend, edit, and innovate with electronic synthesized, or was it simply digitized, sound started out the hip hop era. 

Oh, my battery… that’s what I get for sitting in a truck outside of a coffee house with a good wireless connection!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Sigh…Juanmustard, welcome to the discussion. One of my favorite quotes someone once said to me that I would like to say to you is “Do you know how ignorant you sound ?” lol.

By the mere fact that Wynton had a father and studied classical, basically says his TOTALLY experiences were different from today’s average urban youth.  You don’t have to have a conversation with a man to figure that out. He went to Tanglewood at age 17. You utter bafoon do you know how hard it is to get into Tanglewood ? I do, because I have seen the astronomical requirements to get in. It takes HOURS of practice to get in and a level of focus that a young black man worrying about where is next meal will come from doesn’t have.

I am black American from one of the richest townships in America and I have not been unscathed by the realities of black urban life (my crush from Jr. high shot someone in gang violence). HOWEVER, I would never say in a million years that I know what it was like to grow up without a father, or have to sell drugs to pay for food or the basic necessities. Believe me, Wynton nor I are getting a ghetto pass through the legendary Seventh Ward anytime soon. While I can empathize I cannot fully relate to that level of survival.  And to say that Wynton has not lost touch with his urban roots is again stupid, because a man that was asked to play with the New Orleans Philharmonic at the age of 14 didn’t not grow up in no damn projects. No offense “but nigga please.”

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

[edited to be nice]

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Dr. Wahoo da coolest NIGGA Wit’ Attitude on this Forum….NOT!!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

“This why I can’t stand stuck up trained musicians, you lack compassion and humility. You extol quality over humanity.”

Could you please elaborate on this? So…by your definition, if one is trained, they are lacking in humanity? And, please, what constitutes “trained”?  By comparison, you are a plethera of contradictions… at the least ...you’re all over the place….let’s see…

You play the “race” card here: “I am black American”, “However, as an open minded African-American” and “but nigga please.”

However here you state, “In fact I am a Republican Jew”....

So, which is it…???

Here you state…“I just believe in pulling people up, not down”

But then you call me an:”.. utter bafoon do you know how hard it is to get into Tanglewood ?”

(as a matter of fact..I do, I was there just after Wynton…) again, you contradict yourself…interestingly, I don’t mind being called names, I do it myself for fun,just ask Nic Rinke (sorry Nic..) however for someone who says: “But all this was given to me by the grace of God. Everything I have and am is to be used for His glory. Read 1 Corinthians 13 or one of my favorite scriptures that always humbles me is that knowledge puffs up loves edifies.” You seem to prone to take the road to the lowest common denominator when it suits your purpose.

Now again, for all of your pontificating about jazz you write: “I actually know more about the jazz world than I care to..” and then a few days later…“In fact I know more about classical composers than I do jazz musicians.” hmmm, you really do take up a lot of space on here “pontificating”...maybe you should be listening or practicing so as not to be so “trained” and “stuck up”...really…(BTW..you wrote"Back in the day, Haydn and other classical composers played and wrote music for the common man as well as the elite.”..could you please elaborate on this…what piece did Haydn compose that was not paid for by a wealthy patron or member of a royal family?)

You then go on to write: “loweredsixth only a white person would say that Jazz is American music,” hmmm, one of my favorite quotes; “Jazz is American music, no America, no Jazz”...who said that my dear Dr.? A white guy..yeah a “white” guy named ART MOTHAFUCKIN BLAKEY!!!!

By the way, another statement you wrote jumped out at me…” as a former homeschooler I loved the Baby Einstein DVD series and I would love to make maybe a Baby Jazz or perhaps a Baby Miles or Marsalis DVD” I would like to suggest a book that discusses this (in one of the later chapters…) “The Age of American Unreason; A History of Anti-Intellectualism in America” by Susan Jacoby, she provides some valuable insight into the creation and marketing of video as “instruction” to infants and toddlers…especially since you stated…. “that is why humility in all walks of life is important.”

And with that I am headed to the shed…I spent the weekend playing with the great Benny Golson, his soulfulness, humanity and spiritual strength have humbled me to go back and address my own short comings as a musician, artist and teacher…

Peace.

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Ha ha. Now that was funny! Now I wish I hadn’t deleted my earlier post on this thread.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Beethoven was the first prominent western composer to codify the idea of “intellectual property” as it applied to musical compositions…he was the first to sell his works on the “open market” to the highest bidding publishing house and not have the direct support of wealthy patrons or the artistocracy dictating his music. A month ago, Wynton riffed on Beethoven for about 20 minutes in front of a group of my advanced music students…wonder if that makes him too “white”?

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Yep, Wynton is pure white now. Around these parts we refer to him as Whitey McWhite White.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Wow Juan I am glad you took all that time to analyze everything I have said, I wish my kids were that committed, lol.

I don’t prefer the word contradictory rather ambiguous.  I think I need to come out of the closet at this point, I want the world to know that I am in fact….wait for it…..bimusical.  I am here musically queer, get used to it.

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

what a cop-out response Miss N.W.A; I guess you just couldn’t handle the truth; If this was a battle royale…then juanmustard just piped your ass!!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

This thread has seriously went in a direction that I never intended….!!!!!  However,  I must admit it has became quite entertaining to say the least…..

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-11-13

PM

That’s not true about wynton not being melodic! He’s more melodic than just about any trumpet player today. Plus he does incorperate the new orleans style into his sound but he doesnt sound like Natty Domonique or anything. Thats just his original sound.

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Hi

Well I have worked with Quincy and re met him at Wynton’s 40th Birthday party we spoke on several musical issues.and this is my responce to you.  Please note USUALLy we establish the melody of a song based on melody and the chord changes thenwe do our improvisation.  Some players based their improvisation more closely to the melody while others will use the chord changes.  I have asked several musician’s to sing or play the melody to a song example Body & Soul and they will tell me ...” well I don’t know it but I can do a solo on it based on a idea of the melody and the chord changes… Now Wynton pretty much establishes the melody of a tune be fore he ...“goes there…” on his solo’s.

So just what are we speaking of when you say he is not melodic in his playing??? On which particuliar tune???

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Hey There

I also wanted to add that 1.  Wynton Does incorporated the New Orleans style in several of his tunes of course not all but he has a natural sound in his trumpet that you know it is him playing. Of Course one would have to know the new Orleans style of playing to know if it was such.  Loweredsixth I take it you ARE from New Orleans. 2. I thought the tread was what Quicny said about Wynton?????????? Look at Abbey Lincon she changed her name 3 times before she became Abbey Lincoln but it didn’t change my opnion on how I felt her to be as a artist. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I see artist change through the years of their careers in style from one tune to the next from one year to the next. i don’t want a artist who is always sounds the same even though they may have their favorite licks.

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-11-24

PM

I don’t understand how hip hop is not jazz could one please explain that to me so I may fully understand… now I understand we are on the internet and people can be really passionate about how they may feel, but let’s be respectful to me. Let’s just say it’s easy to curse a man out online.