Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Braces?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

I am considering getting braces to correct a tooth that sticks out, the tooth is unfortunately in the area that the rim of the mouthpiece pushes on. I havent been playing much for the last 5 years but had been playing for 10 years before this, and was a pretty decent player.

I picked up my Trumpet from my parents house the other night and had a run through the brass band solo part for “My Old Kentucky Home” It went suprisingly well, and i ended up playing for an hour or so.

When i picked up my trumpet to play today, i could barely play due to the pain in the area by the wonky tooth. I remember how it would effect my playing when i was younger and would often make me feel as though i was doing more damage than good when playing for long periods of time. I remember having a constant impression of my tooth on the inside of my lip, which has come back now. Im not sure whether i should get this fixed, or whether to leave it. I have read other posts about how braces effect your playing considerably. I was probably using too much pressure too, but i still had the problem when i was younger.

I really want to get back into playing again, but im not sure what to do. Any advice would be great!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-01-03

PM

I’ve had braces on for almost 5 months now. I too had a similar problem with my front two teeth before i had braces. Unfortunately the tooth got more and more out of place so i decided to get braces. If you really want to get braces for whatever reason i must say that it is definitely worth it at the end. However if you do decide to get braces the first 6 months will probably be the most frustrating period you will face.

I recommend that you record your self a few times before you get braces. Also if you you do get braces i highly DO NOT recommend mouth guards or wax unless it is temporarily stopping the pain of a broken brace or wire. Also you may want to find a smaller mouthpiece and a mouthpiece with a more comfortable rim.

The first month or two was absolutely horrible for me. I couldn’t even play above a middle C. Thankfully after two months my front two teeth aligned and the mouthpiece placement on my lips were alot better than before. Also getting braces made me play with very little pressure and it helped me develop a efficient breathing habit.

The only thing you can do if you do decide to get braces is to be patient. Just remember that it takes time to develop a brass embosure. Think back to when you first started trumpet and how long it took for you to develop your range and tone. Also don’t over practice like i did. It will only set you back. Taking days off everyone once and a while so that the muscles in your lips can regenerate and repair themselves.

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-11-13

PM

Man. I am a dedicated trumpet that had braces for two years. I finally got the hang of playing with braces but it was hell!!! Then after all that time itwas time to get the braces off. I could barely play a note for a week. That was a year ago though and things are fine now but I’ll never forget the braces. I would say no to the braces but if your tooth is really bad you might want to get them. Whatever you do I wish you luck!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-01-06

PM

Two years ago, i got braces. its tough to begin with, but try using braces wax. you can also get plastic tubing that cliups onto the braces, designed to ease the pain. its takes a while to get used to playing with. however, i played in a concert the day i got the braces off and eventhough it was a bit wierd i didnt have any difficulty playing. i think its down to perseverance to be honest. it was a tough year, but im sure i benefitted in some way :)

good luck