Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

The Rise and Fall of Jazz Music

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Finally I God delivered to me today a white “brotha” who shares my views about jazz and the importance of understanding the black history and culture that created jazz. He is using jazz and faith to foster racial reconciliation in the Baltimore Area. He is hip to the reality of the black community and the racial divisions that exist in Amerikkka. We come from the same school of thought in terms of being avant-garde in our approach to life faith and music.  He plays jazz clarinet bass, so clearly he is as rebellious as I am and loves to rage against the machine :) His name is Todd Marcus here is his website http://www.toddmarcusjazz.com/ Pasto.r Dr. David Anderson is my current Christian pastor and he wrote a book called “Gracism: The Art of Inclusion” http://www.amazon.com/Gracism-Art-Inclusion-Bridgeleader-Partnership/dp/0830834400 This is the basic spiritual theoretical principles that my beliefs about race hinge on in general.  Just like Enlightenment Scholars in the 18th Century I believe that Christian philosophy not necessarily religion can be made palatable in a secular environment. Just read The Federalist Papers or John Locke’s “Two Treatises of Government” or something. I don’t have time to give major history lessons for free anymore, although I feel a major one coming on soon at a blog near you ;)

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

does anyone expect hiphop and rap to die off at all? do you think that it will lose its appeal as the rappers start to repeat whats already been said, and all the drum loops have been used? will jazz ever rise from the ashes of the dying “music”, or will it have to fight for its reestablishment back to THE american music?

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

if wynton’s programs keep makin the great jazz men its been makin so far, im sure the fight won’t last long!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-01-21

PM

Dear DrWahoo,

We just don’t offer enough opportunity in our school systems as far as the Arts are concerned. How many great musicians have we lost simply because they never had the chance to try a musical instrument? What if Miles never had a chance to try a trumpet? What if Byrd never had a chance to try the saxophone? This happens everyday. We just need to give more children a chance to learn to play music and inspire them. It needs to start at home since our schools have failed in this regard. And yes, Jazz history is as important as Jazz theory; I agree on that point. But let’s not sift the gene pool too cleanly by implying only certain people can understand the depth and soul of Jazz. In my book that’s a form of Jazz Racism. And Jazz is too precious to pigeonhole as only belonging to one race or one people. Like it or not it defines America. It is American music. When I travel abroad I am given a card to sign and indicate my nationality. African American is not one of the choices. I’m an American. If I believe it and can say it freely then I am. Otherwise I would differentiate myself from others. Would that not encourage the very separatism we seek to erase?

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

bilz2512 Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Dear DrWahoo,

> We just don’t offer enough opportunity in our

> school systems as far as the Arts are concerned.

> How many great musicians have we lost simply

> because they never had the chance to try a musical

> instrument? What if Miles never had a chance to

> try a trumpet? What if Byrd never had a chance to

> try the saxophone? This happens everyday. We just

> need to give more children a chance to learn to

> play music and inspire them. It needs to start at

> home since our schools have failed in this regard. But let’s not sift

> the gene pool too cleanly by implying only certain

> people can understand the depth and soul of Jazz.

> In my book that’s a form of Jazz Racism.Would that not

> encourage the very separatism we seek to erase?

I deeply agree on what bilz2512 said. We just need to motivate and inspire more people to learn music jazz. We could provide useful programs on that area. A lot can be done to save such important genre of music.