Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Dear Hambone

I appreciate you saying to start my own thread and realize now what you meant.  I don’t particulary Whitney Marchelle singing the smooth jazz stuf But when she sings Pannonica and In walked bUD it was like a completely different vocalist along with Clark Terry and Wycliffe Gordon I thought was worth mentioning regarding the rise and fall of jazz.  Monk for a vocalist is not a easy task.  Please tell me what idiom is Two Men and the Blues?  Is it a rise or fall to jazz?

Dr. Wahoo as far as what Wynton would think of our conversations I suprised you would say ” who cares”  we all do or have at one time loved wynton’s accomplishments and improvisations in music and educational writings and he does this not only because he cares but he DOES care what the public thinks in many ways aspects and many times refers to such.

But like anyone else I have faults and this site has been a healing and educational source

for me, my love for jazz, and my love for Wynton.

I would really like to meat with you one day. But continue on you are teaching me alot!!

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

PLEASE EXCUXSE MY TYPOS I AM DOIN 3 THINGS AT ONCE.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

I am would be honored to meet you seasoned. I was being cavalier when I said “who cares. ” I am a very rebellious person, I blame it on being born on July 4th and growing up around alot of famous people. In fact I am such a passionate rebel that I when I was 18 I walked out of a Coretta Scott King speech because I didn’t like what she had to say. Disrespectful ? maybe. Courageous ? definitely. My pastor once told me God is not a respecter of person and neither should I.

So, I have no heros and generally am very cynical about every person because to me everyone is flawed. It is truly is a sad existence sometimes. For various reasons even more so this year I have lost my faith in my fellow man. To me love, beauty and truth are only mere rhetoric for most. I find the more I love and give of myself, the more pain seems to follow. But today I am kind of depressed. Maybe in a few weeks I will feel differently.

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

I’m right with you loweredsixth, Dr. Wahoo or Miss N.W.A as I like to call her (a well deserved nickname) is very high and mighty. She referred to one of her posts as “deep”; it was deep alright….deep in a pool of B.S.!!!

Other than Miles and her boy Herb Smith she apparently has not truly checked out any other cats.  Furthermore, she tends to contradict herself (as Juanmustard pointed out) all the time. 

I do gotta give Miss N.W.A some credit, she totally rocks at patting herself on the back. And if ur wondering I’m a Negro just like you except unlike you to me the cup is half full not empty. And sweetheart you got it made growing up in Virginia. I’m from the deep south. If anyone should be crying it should be me.

It seems to me that maybe it’s your crappy personality that is the root of your so called race problem.  Please don’t hang me for being honest!!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

I am really getting bored with this forum. Clearly a lot of your are Kool Aid drinkers. No one has provided a fact-based answers to anything. Only emotional retorts.

As for patting myself on the back, any lead trumpet player knows that there is a difference between confidence and arrogance.  If you are going to be a leader you better have a swagger and I have been the leader of the pack for as long as I can remember, lol. I have been anointed more times for greatness my shoes are filled with oil.  But I prefer to lead most often by example and discourse, rather than be an authoritarian dictator. When I finish my Phd at Harvard I will remember you all ;)

The mere fact that you all seem to read all of my posts shows that at the very least I can make you think and for that I am proud.

And to be clear Edna, I never said I had a race problem. I simply pointed out few personal experiences to prove a point. But I will concede that I can act like “an ass” sometimes. In fact a famous jazz trumpet player once told me so and I humbly accepted his loving critique, lol.

Edna I weep for you in the deep south, I do. Clearly you are from the Booker T. Washington school of black southern complacency, while I am from the WEB DuBious’ Talented Tenth.  In fact, since the 80s I have been tracked by the government for my intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_(education)

However, I choose to my intelligence to challenge the system and to serve my fellow man, not sit in some concert hall or some Ivy league classroom all day:

As Stockely Carmichael former leader of SNCC said:

“If you see your people oppressed and you do nothing to save your people, by your very inaction you oppress your people.”

As for who I know in jazz, that will be revealed in God’s timing. I prefer not to name drop to protect the innocent. Plus I would rather you learn to use your brain and focus on what is being said, rather than who is saying it.  That is the problem the Prophet Balaam had, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaam lol.

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

Wahoo,

I don’t read all of your posts, you tend to say alot of the same stuff.  I hope you get to check out Wynton playing some different live shows so that you get to experience the breadth of his range.  That’s where your facts will come from, experiencing the visceral sensations of the music.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

Hah!!!! There she goes again….PATTING HERSELF ON THE BACK!!!!!  Miss N.W.A ya sure do make me laugh but other than that you have no credibility and I’m not fond of learning from psuedo intellectuals.  You should get a Phd from Wikipedia University….suites you better.  Like you I’m also an Ivy League graduate but unlike you I don’t need to wear it on my sleeve.

Swagger…yeah right!!! More like insecurity!!! Seems to me that you are trying to convince yourself that you are actually worth something!!!! That prominent tpt. player got it right…you truly are an ASS!!!!

And yes this too is a “loving critique!” :-)

P.S. if you are ever in NYC please do me a favor and hang out with Juanmustard….now that cat is truly DEEP!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-09-13

PM

Wahoo….

I, for one, feel misled.  I thought you had already finished your Phd program, hence the Dr. in your moniker. 

In my eyes, until graduation, you will simply be Wahoo.

Dissapointed,

hambone :(

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Wahoo has said “No one has provided a fact-based answers to anything. Only emotional retorts. ”

Ummmm please….good Dr…your retorts aren’t emotional? And..what is a fact? I say that “Wynton is connected to the roots of jazz” and I KNOW that as a fact. You say he isn’t…and you may believe that as well…however, your definition of the “roots of jazz” is based on what? Mine is based on a lifetime of study, playing, and trying to learn from all of my elders, at least the one’s I’ve been fortunate to hang and play with…Clark Terry, Snooky Young, Al Grey, Nancy Wilson, Frank Foster, Sarah Vaughn, Dizzy, Art Blakey, the great Red Rodney (that was some shit!) Benny Golson, Joe Henderson, “Little Jazz” Roy Eldridge….and a host of others….including Mr. Marsalis (who is just barely my elder)...all of these people had but one common thread….Jazz is Love. We can talk all day about about technigue, African and European antecedents of the music, sociological and racial issues, individual artists expression or lack there of…but in the end…none of it matters…much like your favorite scripture in I Corinthians 13…without Love it is all nothing…and I will say this…Wynton creates a lot of love with his music and his efforts to move jazz into a more prominent cultural position. You really should check it out.

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Edna who are you referring to as Miss N.W.A.  I know a grangster rap group by that name.

I missed that one.? By the way I hear Obama Loves jazz.  I heard the Monk show was great sorry I miised it.

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Juanmustard speaking of great icons I saw Snooky Young back stage at the NEA award shows at JAZZ, it was great seeing him well deserved award to him..  I had not seen him in over 30 years when we performed on the Tonight Show together.

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Ok Edna I see what you are talkin about. Dr Wahoo Right!  Well I don’t have a degree so I guess Im not in guys league. 2009 is my last year to sing but I will love jazz forever. I wish you all the best and love Wynton for what he has done for Jazz and the changes of many opinions he has made regarding jazz as well. The teachings he has given us that he has learned from others and new discoveries he has made on his own. BUT there is nothing like jazz in new york city.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

you’re right season. I’m referring to dr. wahoo. in one of her previous quotes she use the word nigga. she comes off as a black militant so i started calling her miss n.w.a-nigga wit’ attitude.  lol!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-11-13

PM

JAZZ IS KING