Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

The Rise and Fall of Jazz Music

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-09-13

PM

“and many more years after Billy Holiday wrote “Strange Fruit” all of a sudden jazz is American music.”

care of our friends at wikipedia:

“Strange Fruit” began as a poem written by Abel Meeropol, a Jewish high-school teacher from the Bronx, about the lynching of two black men. He published under the pen name Lewis Allan (the two names he and wife would have named their own children).[3]

Meeropol wrote “Strange Fruit” to express his horror at lynchings after seeing Lawrence Beitler’s photograph of the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith in Marion, Indiana. He published the poem in 1937 in The New York Teacher, a union magazine. Though Meeropol/Allan had often asked others (notably Earl Robinson) to set his poems to music, he set Strange Fruit to music himself. The song gained a certain success as a protest song in and around New York. Meeropol, his wife, and black vocalist Laura Duncan performed it at Madison Square Garden.[4]

Barney Josephson, the founder of Cafe Society in Greenwich Village, New York’s first integrated nightclub, heard the song and introduced it to Billie Holiday. Holiday performed the song at Cafe Society in 1939. She said that singing it made her fearful of retaliation. Holiday later said that because the imagery in “Strange Fruit” reminded her of her father, she persisted in singing it. The song became a regular part of Holiday’s live performances.[5]

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Greenish white or greenish black?

Ha ha :)

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

We are all here together and we all need to go green.

But that’s another topic.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

We thought of 5 African American jazz academics affiliated with Eastman, including the Vice President of the University. 

As for the Juilliard jazz program, the new director is African American.

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Enough of this nonsense. I think DrWahoo had some quality points, but they were dwarfed by her unfortunate racism.

Anyway, here’s Wynton playing Cornet Chop Suey on youtube. That band is swinging so hard, that it almost makes me want to cry! The phrase he plays at 1:50 is so beautiful.

Let’s all listen and relax and breathe in that music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXpo2OC0GQ

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

I am gonna see them live tomorrow night!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-09-18

PM

a very well-worded assessment of how you feel about the whole scene.

the world would be very bland without people who are not afraid to speak up, so bravo.

While my struggles in life have not even touched on the struggles of many in the past, I feel I can draw on my personal feelings and experiences to add flavour and colour to my music.

I feel that Jazz does not have to be angst-ridden, and can also express happy times and feelings, too.

As for the racist thing, well, I’m sorry to hear that that’s your opinion.

hold on, I’m from the UK - I just thought; is that a crime against jazz?

tony

—————————————-

Signature

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Sigh…yes I am so racist because I dare acknowledge the historical roots of jazz. As Stockley Carmichael once said a people cannot be racist if they have no power. Racism is the institutional oppression of one race over another and the belief that one race is better than another. I have not said anything about African-Americans being better than another racist, but simply acknowledge our equality with other races.

Again borrowing from history, during the Nazi era Hitler broken down the races into three groups culture-creators, culture-bearers and I believe culture destroyers. Jews and blacks of course were deemed culture-destroyers.  Specifically around the world African-Americans have often been deemed the worst of all colored peoples. How do I know this ? A little background about me.

I am a missionary who has traveled through out the African Diaspora-(Africa, the Caribbean and America). My ministry of choice when I do mission work has been music, because it is the only thing that indeed unites people regardless of meaningless divisions. However, as an open minded African-American both Caribbean and Africans have expressed that African-Americans are so inferior to them. In fact as someone who was once married to an African, my in-laws not knowing that I could understand their language often referred to me and other African-Americans as akatas, which means niggers.  Caribbean folks thought we were delusional about racism in this country and thought that we were just lazy. A lot of this misconception which is true for even Americans in general, has been created by the media, who consistently portrays African-Americans as ignorant and uncultured. Even I growing up in a predominantly white area did not know the historical and cultural contributions of black people to American culture until I attended Spelman College and began whole heartedly studying black history.

That being said in all honesty I often prefer Shostakovich to Miles Davis, so I do not think black people are better just different and beautiful because of their differences. Through Shostakovich and other Russian composers my band director had us play I learned to appreciate Russian culture. In fact I know more about classical composers than I do jazz musicians. I was often ostracized by my black friends for loving classical music, but being the rebel that I am I really didn’t give a crap because good music is good music and it is the most authentic expression of ones cultural experiences.

Again the crux of my whole argument is to look at jazz in a greater cultural context and not simply in a musical vacuum. The problem in America is that we tend to racialize culture when in fact the core of culture which is identity is more nuanced than that. That is why most recently most historians and cultural anthropologists have rejected the notion that America is a melting pot, but instead a salad bowl. 

Unfortunately, while there are Irish Pride Parades, Puerto Rican Pride Parades, or Italian Pride Parades, people reject that black people have been a nation with in a nation with their own culture and institutions as a result of true racism. That is why our classification in the American lexicon has shifted from Negro to Colored to Black to AFRICAN-American because African-American distinguishes us from true Africans but acknowledges our ethnic identity and not simply our skin color.  The notion of race in itself is bigoted, because it implies that we are all competing which is completely absurd because : 1) the only real race is a the colorless spiritual race and 2) the amount of melanin in a person’s skin has nothing to do with their intellectual or physical abilities,  but was simply given to various people based on their proximity to the equator to protect them from the sun.

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

After that long ass post I think I am going to abandon this topic, because some people want to live in the damn Matrix of their mind and I am simply just offering them the red pill or the blue pill like Morpheus. Loweredsixth stay in the Matrix of your mind if you want, I really don’t care but I hope someone will be enlightened by this discussion.

Signature

Charmaine Nokuri

Historian/Artist

The University of Virgina

RankRankRank

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Oh brother.

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Have you heard Whitney marchelle’s new cd Me, Marsalis & monk? It has Clark Terry and Wycliffe Gordon on In Walked Bud.  Also She sings Pannonica by Monk rarely perfomred by a vocalist. The lyrics to Wynton Marslais song Loose Duck really swings with Wycliffe on it. I was amazed of the versatilty of the smooth jazz and more so straight-ahead accomplished by one artist.

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

Aslo I want to add that i also like Tia Fuller’s cd. Speaking of Whitney Marchelle I love the lyrics of her smooth jazz tunes and they do but do’t sound like your typical smooth jazz. because there is somuch more improvisatio. I found the music when i googled her name. emailed her and she said her release is coming out at virgin & border srores.  speaking of such threr are not many actual stores now to buy music.  I like the idea of having the cd in my hand how about you all.  any responce from my emails? I like discovering new artist and Marchelle is one I would say is worth taking a listen to.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

Rank

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

well it looks like you guys focus is just on one thing and not other artist that are contirbuting to wynton or jazz.  you need to change the subject and many of us have tried you interest in other areas as well and you are not adressing them. its all kind of sad you know. If i know wytnon personally i would tell him what you all’s focus is on with jazz on his site. I feel he might be a little sadden. I asked your opion on some artist i heard and there was no reponce even from some of you regulars.

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-09-13

PM

I think that you’re posts are just a little off topic.  Why don’t you try creating a new thread about new artists.

Good luck