Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Records with Art Blakey

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

How many Albums did Wynton record in the early 80’s with Art Blakey and what ones?

I know about

Keyston 3

Straight Ahead

What others?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

There’s some grey market stuff recorded at a club in Florida, maybe in Ft. Lauderdale, called I think “Bubba’s”.  There are two or three CDs worth of material issued on several different labels under both Blakey’s name and Wynton’s name. 

Wynton has been critical of his early playing, particulary on his ballad work (though who listens to the Blake-ster for Ballads anyway?) and I have always liked Wynton’s playing on these live CDs.  It is just smokin’, rockin’ jazz caught live.  Real visceral stuff.

I can’t remember if Wynton as on the date, but his brother Branford was in a Blakey big band that recorded live at the North Sea Jazz Fest in the early 1980s.  I think Wynton is on this one too.  It might be on Timeless Records,  but you have to check out the All Music Guide database to confirm that.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Thank you..I actually knew about those and own a few..(psst don’t tell wynton..LOL)...I know he is not happy about those bootlegs that are out.  He has actually told me this many years ago.  Anyway,  looking for the legal stuff that he did with Art.  Thanks for your help though..Neil