Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Poll on Monette Trumpets

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 0

PM

I play an STC3 B2 about 90 percent of the time.  I have a Flumpet mpc and a B2L as well.
JR

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Oh yeah, and its raw brass…turns your hands green!  But I couldn’t afford the extra 1400 dollars for the brush gold.
JR

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2008-03-12

PM

does anyone know if a flumpet mouthpiece fits a flugel horn? I play Conn Vintage One with a B4 and I am looking for to fit my vintage one flugel.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I think the shank sizes are the same.  You would need to call Monette to ask them directly, but I think they will fit Bach horns.  Not sure about yours though.
JR

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 0

PM

hey john when are u gonna send me ur pics of ur new monette.  AND I FREKIN DROPED MY PRANA MOUTHPIECE AND DENTED IT!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH SOMEONE STRIKE ME DOWN NOW.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Sven,
Ill send pics soon.
If you send your mpc back to Dave he will fix it.

JR

Rank

Joined 0

PM

u think he will do that free of charge and thanks for the pics comin soon

Rank

Joined 0

PM

My buddy Andrew has dropped several mpcs…I think he fixed em for free.
May take a while…few weeks.
JR

Rank

Joined 0

PM

eh, took it to local trumpet shop and they fixed it in 5 seconds free of charge.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Risky, but if it worked, great!
JR

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

hey i also ordered a 993, and it’s due in like less than 30 days (hopefully). I am interested in those pictures of your horn. Thank you.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

u cant wait 30 days? lol

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

HECK NO, I’ve been waiting for almost 10 months now! but 30 days should go by fast. I still wanna see those pictures though :)

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

No intention of hijacking this thread - I have a question about Monette equipment, and thought this would be a good place to ask since several of you use the mouthpieces.

I bought an STC-1 B4S about 8 years ago before I stopped playing. My schedule was so busy that I couldn’t convince myself to switch to Monette mouthpieces. They’re so different, and all, and deciding what you think of them after only a few days isn’t really fair…

I started playing again a few weeks ago and thought my situation is perfect for trying out the B4S (having forgotten a lot of muscle memory). I’m extremely pleased with the sound, and overall performance.

The B4S feels shallow to me. I know it isn’t built for a classical type sound, and that Lew Soloff isn’t famous for his legit playing. But is the B4S a standard cup depth for Monette? Is it the same as a B2 depth for instance? I can’t remember if the “S” means shallow in Monette’s catalogue. I have started working on some unaccompanied violin pieces to get my chops back in shape and am having some trouble on large descending intervals - specifically, from above the staff to below the staff.

If the “S” doesn’t mean shallow, and that is a standard cup depth, I’ll definately be needing a deeper cup soon. But if it is standard depth, maybe it is my lips…I know the air is there, but I get no buzz on some of those intervals, and it feels like I am bottoming-out.

Rocky - I saw that you had a B4S at one time, so maybe you can offer some advice. I’m happy to hear anyone’s comments.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I have never played a B4s, but I have played a standard B4.  I have played many different Monette sizes, and in my assertions, the most versatile mouthpiece that Dave makes is the standard B2.  Essentially, it’s about the same size as a Bach 1 and 1/4 c.  B4 has a farily narrow rim, and is pretty shallow as well, in my opinion.  Generally, if it is difficult for you to play clearly in the lower registers, it’s a sign that your mouthpiece may be too shallow for you.  Some people have thin lips, allowing them to play easily in the lower register on flatter mouthpieces.  Most of my students who play Monettes have noticed a difference in range, endurance, and overall sound quality when they switch to a larger mouthpiece.  If you intend to be a well-rounded trumpeter, not a lead player, I would really suggest playing on a B2.  If you call the shop, they might send you one to try out for a few weeks.  It’s worth investigating.
JR