Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Poll on Monette Trumpets

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 0

PM

Hey guys.  I just thought it might be interesting to get some feedback on what you all have heard about Monette trumpets.  I am due to receive my 993 Bflat in a couple of weeks which I am desperately looking forward to.  I know a couple noted Monette guys like Calvin Price and John Wilds, and every experience I have had with Monette equipment has been overwhelmingly positive.  However, I hear a lot of negative feedback from a lot of trumpet players.  What have you heard?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

I drove out to a special store in Atlanta who carried monettes, I went into try one worrying that they wouldn’t let me cause I’m only 14. But they did! I tried the 2000LT and I thought it was extremely fantastic.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

A trumpet is an instrument, it amplfies what you put into it. Wynton sounds great on the B993, but he also sounded great on that Holton he played, and the Bach. I bet he could pick up the phone book and make it sound good. The best trumpet for you, is the one that helps you get to your sound and your concept the easiest. If that is a $8000 B993, fine, but it is also just as well if you spend $1500.00 on a Schilke or a Bach, Yamaha.
A bright shiney new Monette ain’t gonna help you with your lip slurs, or your intervals, or the ability to play softly, or ideas that have depth of meaning, unless you justify the expense with practice and dedication.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Very good point, Rocky James.  But you have to admit if an instrument takes 6-12 months to make is worth the money, your talking about a one of a kind trumpet made for you and there is no other horn going to be like that one because it is made for your height and weight I suppose when you get your monette adjusted means that you gain weight or you got taller…

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Have you ever played Monette equipment Rocky? 
Just curious.
John

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Yes, I owned a Monette B993. I enjoyed it, but after all was said and done, I really found my Schilke B1 to be the horn that I felt would enable me to do all the things I wanted to do. The B993 was a little too free blowing for me, and I found that it’s color palette was not as varied as I’d have liked. It was a beautiful horn, really beautiful, but since it did not live up to my expectations, I decided to sell it and recoup my investment. It would have made a hell of a 40th birthday present, but hey, I love my Schilke, and I love my Monette B2 mouthpiece. Incidentally, I practice yoga and prana breathing..I also sing and paractice martia arts..so I feel I have the breath/ body awareness that Dave Monette recommends for approaching his instruments. Maybe the 2000LT would have worked better for me?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Sounds like you really liked the horn.  Hope I like it as much.  Any yoga courses you would reccomend?  Can I just use a yoga video?
JR

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Hey John,

You know John Wilds ? I’m an old buddy of his from years ago….is he still with San Diego?....I played John and Calvins first few Monettes and have several myself and love them….

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Yes, I know John Wilds and Calvin Price very well.  They are both still with SD Symphony, both play here regularly here in town.  John and Cal just both got new Monette horns recently, and they rave about them often.  Both are avid Monette supporters, and both are incredible trumpeters. 
JR

RankRank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

hi just off the subject but was wondering what the B2 mouthpiece is like for playing i play a 3c on a taylor and was thinking of trying a change to one ,any advise on them?
cheers

RankRank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

hey rocky maybe i can email you some of my playing with smart music see what you think of the sound

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Hey john,

There’s a story about John Wilds going in for a jury at IU and playing the Brandengurg 2 on a C TRUMPET!!! He is a great guy and aan amazing player,...I’ll try to email you off-site to tell him I said hi…what horns did those guys get?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I’m not surprised.  John Wilds is a trumpet freak.  To answer, John is playing on an STC C trumpet, in gold, Calvin plays the new Prana STC in gold.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

Rocky said a mouth full about what you get out of a Monette is what you put in it. I recently received my new B993 prana and it allows me to focus more on making music not necessarly playing the trumpet. It’s complicated but if you had one you would understand instantly. It’s the best thing since slice bread.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Artisms,
Did you ever play any of the standard 993s?  I ordered a Standard model, not the Prana version. 
John

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I had a Monette B993 for half a year. It’s a fine horn but didn’t play better as any other top horn I’ve played. I liked the Monette very much but decided to let it go because I mainly play lead. But I wanted to have played one and I did, and now I know what I missed or didn’t miss. For me the (Prana) prices are to outragious now. But they make fine horns but not better as any other topbrand, it’s just another soundconcept. I liked Wynton sound also in his early days, maybe more, but he will think different I think. But I sure like to test the new XLT Prana once but I think with these prices I rather buy 4 other top horns.