Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Setlist from Minneapolis concert?

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-01-22

PM

Does anyone have the setlist from the Minneapolis concert?  Please post if you do.

I remember “Single Petal of a Rose”, “Prelude to a Kiss”, and a song by Juan Tizol played on the bass trumpet, but would love the complete list.

Thanks,

kz

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2005-03-30

PM

Ummm, here’s what I remember (not in order necessarily, and not including your two):

Mood Indigo

Moon Over Cuba (the Juan Tizol song)

I Can’t Give You Anything But Love

Solitude

Dancers In Love

Kinda Dukish & Rockin’ In Rhythm

Old Man Blues (I think…)

Three Little Words

The Flaming Sword

Satin Doll

Lady Mac

Self-Portrait (Of The Bean)

and C-Jam Blues (encore)

I feel like there’s one or two missing from our combined lists but I can’t remember which….might be Canal Street Blues, but don’t quote me on that.

Talked to Ted Nash afterward and he said it was refreshing to play Duke again, as the band hasn’t played much Duke since the Centennial (‘99).

The band was amazing and I thoroughly dug the new trombone player, Chris. Amazing technique. Ted said he was fresh out of Julliard. Victor played really well, though I think he was having reed troubles. Walter Blanding was very soulful.

Wynton was wonderful and bluesy, and just as ridiculous (in a good way) as I remembered.

Joe Temperley stole though show though with Single Petal of a Rose. It was indescribably beautiful.

Hope that list helps!

Jason

Rank

Joined 2008-01-22

PM

Hey Jason…thx for adding your list!  I agree, the Single Petal of a Rose will stick in my memory for a while. 

The main lick SPoR reminds me a bit of John Williams’ “Close Encounter of the First Kind” call to the aliens…but that could be just because I saw the movie recently.  :)

kz

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

I let a song go out of my heart

wasn’t at the minneapolis concert but the song above was played at the chicago, bloomington, and notre dame concerts.

Rank

Joined 2008-01-22

PM

Thanks Edna.  I found a cool concert write-up today on this blog, Bebopified:

http://bebopified.blogspot.com/2008/01/jazz-at-lincoln-center-orchestra-with.html

kz