Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Looking for a good Jazz Trumpet

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-01-03

PM

I’ve been looking around online for a Jazz trumpet but i’m not quite sure what to look for. Also i’m looking for a lead and small group jazz mouthpiece. I currently play on a Bach 1c. It gives me a pretty good sound overall and i can play fairly high with it but i’m interesting in trying something that can enhance my playing. I also currently play on a Bach Strad 37. I want a darker and bigger sound that has the same responsive attributes as my bach for small group solo playing. Any suggestions anyone?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

The old Martin Committees with the ML bores are pretty sweet!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-01-15

PM

Try a 8310Z from yamaha. With your 1C it will sound great and very versatile.

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-03-30

PM

I LOVE my Bach Stradivarius S180ML37. Sweet horn. If it was a woman, I would have married it. It is a great all around horn.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

try the 789RL Bavarion Lion from cannonball. its an extremely versatile horn and plays with more power and depth than any bach i’ve tried

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I am really into Bach trumpets.  Maybe try some Harrellson caps on the bottom if you want a darker sound.  They are very good.  I firmly believe that whatever your tonal concept is, reguardless of equipment you will ultimately sound like yourself..Keep swingin’  Neil

http://www.neil-king.com

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-03-30

PM

Where can I get those Harrelson caps? I’ll try anything just once.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-07-09

PM

You can’t go wrong with the prices on Ebay if you’re looking for a new trumpet.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

http://www.harrelsontrumpets.com/

Also might I suggest using a V type cup mouthpiece if you want to sound darker.  Check out Mark curry’s stuff…His tfl models are very nice to through on the trumpet when you want that dark sound.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-08-15

PM

Yeah, take up the accordion.