Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Is Wynton a Republican?

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-03-22

PM

I read somewhere recently that Wynton is a Republican.  This surprises me for some reason and wanted to know if it’s actually true.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

No…nor is he a democrat…I believe that he subscribes to a more educated and informed opinion than that of party affiliation..with that in mind, he was a big supporter of Mitch Landrieu…who is a white democrat against Ray Nagin, a black Democrat in the New Orleans mayoral race….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

Non-profits are instructed by the state to stay out of political affiliations.  That doesn’t speak to Marsalis as an individual but as an artistic director at Lincoln Center, it seems professionally out of bounds.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

with al the info and deep thinking wynton does im sure he is republican

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I want to know If he’s a Freemason.

I love him and his sound either way.

Been doing lots of research on masonry and musicians.

Duke Ellington,  Count Basie and many others were part of the brotherhood.

I would say that this question holds more weight than any kind of political stance.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

You’re all nuts! ...and it doesn’t matter…..I will say this, he played at the Clinton White House several times including a televised PBS special with the big band….the Bush White House….(cricket cricket)....

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2006-08-28

PM

I didn’t know Republicans were deep thinkers.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2007-05-29

PM

I think that with all the deep thinking that Wynton does he must realize how ignorant it is to put people in two general classes and to judge them accordingly. Wynton shapes his own views and acts upon them, rather than associating with a party and letting the views of the party determine his. He has much more integrity than that. I’m sure that there are both Democrats and Republicans that he has liked and disliked.

However, it’s not a stretch to say that Mr. Marsalis is likely NOT impressed with the current actions (or lack thereof) of the Republican party - the Katrina response in particular.

-cm

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

well said

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

This type of stuff just bust me up.  Honestly,  does it matter what his political views are?  Would you or do you like him any less if he did not share the same views as you?  My best friend, also a very well known jazz artist happens to have views on a total different end of the sphere than myself.  However, we agree to disagree.  We have far to many things in common other than politics to allow that to put a wedge in our friendship.  Same with Wynton. 

I am sure that Wynton and I would not agree on certain things (everyone is different).  Who is right or who is wrong is not the issue.  That being said, I know for darn sure we both agree on “What jazz is”  and being able to swing and play some blues!!!!!

Neil

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

i have performed at the hwite house for both Republican and Democract. So what does that make me? As far as what Wynton is unless you have heard him say it himself you don’t know so don’t say what you believe he is. This is a privacy what we hav.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-03-22

PM

I didn’t intend to cause such an uproar with my post.  It was just an innocent question.  If Wynton’s political views are different from mine, it won’t prevent me from continuing to listen to his music.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-10-14

PM

I heard Wynton say:

On the morning of November 4th, he is going to get up early and put a suit on, long before the polls open.

He’s then going to wake up his two sons who are old enough to vote, and make them put suits on.

Then he’s going to walk to the nearest polling place to be the first person in line to cast a vote for Barack Obama.

In addition to believing that Barack Obama represents the Change We Need, he likes him because he is left handed, has a good jump shot, was born in 1961 and most importantly, because he believes in talking with people who are different from you. And he likes Joe Biden too.

Nuff said.

Rank

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-11-13

PM

He actually has played at the bush white house a couple of times but I hope to god hes a demo. Actually i sdont really care. Hes the best damn trumpet player in the world!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

whatever considereing the source and the state we are in now I bet he voted for the person who was best for the postion on the just for the sake of a political party.