Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Trombone/Clarinet

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-08-16

PM

Wynton?folks

This is my first adventure into the cyber/blog world.

I am 62 years of age.  Obviously long afetr the hey day of the Big Bands.  But for some reason, I have always been attracted to the Big Band Sound.  Not sure, but I think it’s the harmony, rather than the melody or beat.  I really like good clarinet and Trombone playing.

So now comes the commitment, I think Tommy Dorsey’s sound is truely magnificient.  Likewise the sound of Goodman and Shaw.

There seems to be nothing outnthere that even attempts to compare or match.  I’m not interseted in imitators.  I’m looking for the players who are taking us to the new ground.  There don’t seem to be any.

It’s almost as if Dorsey, Goodman and Shaw scared everyone off.  Are there players out there I have been missing?

This isn’t true of other instruments, e.g., the trumpet.  In spite of Armstrong, Williams, James, Miley, Berigan, Gillespe, etc. , we have Marsalis, Shorter, etc., likewise sax players.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

Well, there aren’t many big names in the context of clarinet these days.

The woodwind players for the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with the clarinet in their arsenal are magnificent… Victor Goines and whatnot.

As for trombone, check out Wycliffe Gordon or Vincent Gardner. A couple of Wynton’s original players.

Rank

Joined 2009-08-09

PM

If you want to hear a good modern jazz clarinetist i would suggest listening to Eddie Daniels

Rank

Joined 2009-10-18

PM

Don Byron for good modern clarinet.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-05-10

PM

Hi! I guess you would be needing first some good trombone and/or clarinet lessons in order to achieve something here. In that way, you would be able to play it, even on the basic skill level that you would want. Then, choosing a right instrument would be the key. I just hope that things would work out well in this one.