Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Update on Warmdaddy…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

I just returned from East Lansing where I spent a few days with Wess, Desi, Quad and Wynton who was visiting for a few days as well. Wess is doning better, he has physical therapy several times a week and his appearance is just about “normal”. He still has some short term memory issues and some physical restrictions but he went out (Sunday night) to a local club/restaurant and played a few tunes with a goup put together by MSU Jazz Director Rodney Whitaker. (Randy Gillespie-drums, Rodney-bass, Dr. Henry Butler-piano, Wynton and Derrick Gardner-trumpet, Diego Rivera-tenor sax) He sounded stronger than we all actually could have ever hoped for and Wynton called off a few challenging tunes (Stablemates and a BURNING Donna Lee) and Wess got through them unscathed…he even joined Wynton on Embraceable You in a kind of 2 horn dialogue that has become a trademark for them in sessions like these…while he still has a long way to go to be 100%, his recovery is moving forward and we are all very optimistic for a full recovery. Please continue to keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Thank you for the update.  Will continue to keep Wess and his family in my prayers. It is good that he is playing again and progressing in his recovery. All the best to him and his family.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Thanks Juan,

I’m happy for Wes !

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

Damn.  This is the first I heard of this.  I hope all is well with Warmdaddy.

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-01-03

PM

Man I am out of the LOOP!!!  This is my first time hearing this awful news.  On the lighter side, I am thankful Warm Daddy is okay.  My Prayers go out to his family and friends for a speedy recovery.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2008-01-21

PM

wess was my guest artist in november, barely 4 months after the stroke, and he was SWINGIN!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Glad to hear that he is doing better.  He is so gifted!!!  I will continue to pray for him!  Neil

RankRankRank

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

You would never know he was sick.  Two Fridays ago he co-hosted a show at Rose Hall called “Soul Jazz”.  During his set, the second half of the show, he and the all-star quintet he headed played tunes written by, associated with or inspired by Cannonball Addereley.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-11-12

PM

I’m listening to him right now being interviewed on WWOZ and he sounds perfect.  He mentioned a tour of Africa that is happening in April 2010 with the original Wynton Septet of the late 80’s-early 90’s (minus Kenny Kirkland obviously). Are there dates set for this yet? Anywhere I can get info?

RankRankRank

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

ptullis Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> I’m listening to him right now being interviewed

> on WWOZ and he sounds perfect.  He mentioned a

> tour of Africa that is happening in April 2010

> with the original Wynton Septet of the late

> 80’s-early 90’s (minus Kenny Kirkland obviously).

> Are there dates set for this yet? Anywhere I can

> get info?

I thought Marcus Roberts was the pianist in the legendary septet.  Kenny Kirkland was the pianist in the first quintet with Branford & Tain Watts.