Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

What up Jurzy?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Hey Jurz,

Haven’t heard from you in a while. Hows the summer?

Rocko

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Not only that, but her hero worshipping is as charming ever! LOL

Rank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2006-09-11

PM

No news from Jurzy??????? Missing at all…...

C.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

I was asking the same question elsewhere. Summer’s not over yet! Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Well when my beaux asks for me and even dares to start a thread in search of me, what else can I do but fly to the keyboard as quickly as I can? I have missed you Mr. James and have missed participating on this, my very favorite site. But you were on point—I was away worshipping, of course! and lost track of time as worshippers are wont to do.

I am afraid the summer of 2007 found me quite stricken with Wander Lust. I fall prey to that dastardly ailment from time to time and have learned to just “give in.” I missed the guys in Paris but did find them happily sequestered in Marciac. The people were lovely, the crowds were thick but pleasant, the wine was divine and the company could not have been better. I even met Dear Luigi y que carino, what a dear man he is. I’ll check to see if I have photos of the guys to share. So, I do not speak French but love the feeling and sound of the language. Wynton and the guys were performing in the “choppy toe” and so, there you have it—my French. Ai dios mio!

I spent a good deal of my summer in the mountains and then ventured towards the Ocean and points south (all this country) before settling back, at long last, in my Island home. How good it is to be back on this little Island with cool breezes, sooty air, sand colored concrete beneath my feet, and the sound of rustling mufflers all around. There is simply no place like this one and there never will be.

There is a conference on Murray being organized at Tuskegee. It will happen in January 2008, maybe the third week. Glo, Sonalii, Nic, and others in the area—perhaps you can attend. I plan to attend but one never knows, one just never knows. Contact person is Barbara Baker and she is a Murray scholar who is compiling a critical book on his work. Murray was honored this summer (May/June?) with an award from Harvard University. He turned 91 in May and he is proof that “mature persons” can still outthink a room full of youngsters!

Oh dear, my wine glass is empty! I was enjoying a lovely glass of Brunello. Luigi, we will make it to Italy and visit you there next time.

So, what are we reading? Where did we leave off? I am so glad your work is progressing so well Sonalii. You have a beautiful spirit and I know your work reflects the beauty in you. My Dear Hero would surely feel your strength and compassion in your work.

Pictures to post? Hmmm…another glass of wine and we’ll just see….

In addition to books that we may read this season, how about sharing newspaper and magazine articles that seem relevant?

For now but not for long…

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Hi Jurzy! Such wonderful news about your summer. I hope we hear more about Marciac and travel vicariously! Hope Luigi can help you post pictures! Did you send regards from the book club?!  As you can surmise by the Unanswered Post,  we have not yet selected a book for fall/winter. Time constraints are always at “issue” but it’s really worse not even having a book to complain about… I’m hoping for a new publication. If not a book I’d be interested in your ideas for research, articles, recordings, etc. We were at the beach all summer, taking in the long walks and sunsets, watching children grow and tending to a cottage garden… It passed too quickly and we’re settling into the fall term. Wonder where the Regs (regulars) are around this mysterioso forum…Glad you’re back! Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-04

PM

Welcome back Jurzy !

Please not too much glass of Brunello di Montalcino…it’s powerful ;)

Luigi

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

At long last, Jurzy you have returned! It was such a pleasure reading about your summer adventures. How lovely it must have been to see our Hero in Marciac and to meet our dear Luigi. I am planning on attending next year and would welcome any details you wish to share on getting there and where to stay. You have been missed and I want to thank you for your kind words. Now that it seems we are all on the same page, the task at hand in choosing a book for our reading group should not be so daunting. I am not aware of any new books on jazz. Perhaps we can continue reading up on some of the greats that weren’t covered in our last session. There are books on Miles Davis, Charlie Parker as well as some of the women of jazz such as Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, etc. Stanley Crouch’s book Considering Genius: Writings on Jazz offers critical essays on some of the great jazz artists, which would make for an excellent discussion as well as Living with Music: Ralph Ellison’s Jazz Writings. Newspaper and magazine articles would be fitting, whether current or archived. Suggestions are always welcome as are new members to our discussion group. Let’s see if we can agree on something for the month of October. Until then…...

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Hi Sonalii! Maybe we should re-visit JAZZ, produced by Ken Burns (and re-read accompanying book). It would be interesting to discuss JAZZ while looking at reviews by jazz musicians, i.e. Benny Carter, who thought Charlie Parker could have been depicted more positively, focusing on his affable personality and musical contributions.  The War, Burns’ latest epic, is receiving critical acclaim.

In 1984, Linda Dahl published Stormy Weather: The Music and Lives of a Century of Jazzwomen, which might be fun to discuss.

Dahl’s biography of Mary Lou Williams, entitled Morning Glory, is a fascinating story, tracing Mary Lou’s under-appreciated contributions to jazz that spanned its history from the 1920’s through 1970’s. There are hundreds of indicative anecdotes, like an account of Williams dragging her protege, Monk, to church…

Mary Lou and Davis Stone Martin came up with an illustration you might be interested in as an artist, called the “tree of jazz!” Dahl described the illustration as Mary Lou’s “vision of jazz as cultural alchemy”... It would be nice to see an update of this in living color…

” The roots of Mary’s great old “tree” are the spirituals, European forms married to the African-based blues, both ...depicted climbing up the sturdy trunk, to branch out into ragtime, swing and bop while the “leaves” of the tree are the individual players who contributed important sounds. With only three exceptions, Mary’s friends Zoot Sims, Benny Goodman and Jack Teagarden, all of the leaves are named for black musicians. Importantly, the tree also contains dead branches…“soulless excercises”: commercial rock, black magic, avant-garde, cults and simply “exercises.” The withered leaves on the dead branches represent the musicians who turned away from the spiritual heart, the soul, of the music (spirituals and the blues). An illustration (1970’s) of things to come, Williams was a sort of visionary, greatly gifted and deeply religious.

These are some ideas, we’re all so busy we may want to aim for late November. It would be good to somehow keep the momentum going and add new readers! Best, Glo.