Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

My Wynton Story…

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2007-05-29

PM

This is a neat/funny story of the first (and only) time I met Wynton Marsalis.

Wynton has been, by far, my favorite trumpet player, and as soon as I saw he was coming to my city, I bought the best possible ticket I could the minute they went on sale (3 months before the show!) The night the show came (last October, 2006), I ended up arriving several hours before the show and saw the tour bus parked behind the hall. I decided to hang around in hopes that I might catch Wynton on his way out of the sound check… and I did!! I walked down the street with him and talked for a bit… it felt unreal that I was actually walking beside and chatting with this man! He invited me to come back stage after the show and then proceeded to his hotel.

At the end of the show, the band finished their encore number and I ran up to the stage waving at Wynton. He signaled to me, and I, being too excited and oblivious to the fact that the nearly sold-out audience of 2,000+ people was still watching and applauding, jumped on stage and walked off with Wynton’s band!!! Backstage I didn’t say much, as I was simply blown away by the fact that I was hanging out with Wynton and his band after a gig! I got his autograph as well as a photo (he gave me his pen that he signed the autograph with, which is now “sacred” to me). This was probably the most awesome experience I’ve ever had, and has been one of the biggest inspirations to my own trumpet playing.

-Cameron

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

Cool story, Cameron!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Wynton has always a great heart :)

Signature

ADMIN

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2007-05-29

PM

True, Luigi

Next time he’s in town I better ask him for a lesson! :)

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-12-30

PM

Well I came across Wynton Marsalis’ phone number one evening after getting in contact with his father Ellis.

His father, God rest his soul was on the brink of death and felt that touching the life of one young individual was more important than being stubborn about it. I talked to his father two weeks before his death and then again three days before. It was a shock to me to find that he had died that day and i had requested a moment of silence at our school. My 1st period class stood in silence for 30 seconds as I payed my homage to the late great Ellis Marsalis.

So two weeks before his death, he gave me Wynton’s house phone number. I attempted to call and call before I finally realized Wynton was out of town, it was even posted here i do believe. Regardless, I finally got through to Wynton and my friend Brantley and I spoke to this God-like trumpeteer last summer. Hearing his voice gave me goosebumps and since then, i’ve called him regularly to take some sort of trumpet lessons.

He truly is an amazing touch of genius, may god bless his family and his father.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

1st_Chair….Hmmm…Ellis II (Wynton’s father) is alive and well….his grandfather Ellis Sr. died last year or so…is that who you spoke to? If so…please get your facts straight before posting.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Right.

THanks Juan

Signature

ADMIN

Rank

Joined 2006-12-30

PM

I’m sorry for not saying this correctly,

I spoke to Wynton’s Father on the telephone and thought that when I saw Ellis Marsalis’ death on the news that evening that it was his father. This confused me highly and I payed my respects to his grandfather that day

I never called back because I figured he had passed on

I’m sorry to you all

Rank

Joined 2007-07-16

PM

Hello fans. I just wanted to ask when did Wynton’s Father died? I did not know that he died. I just gotten back from using the forum/website and I found out from the forum that Wynton’s father died. I would like a response. Thanks.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

!!!!!....read 2 inches above and you will see that he is alive and well….

Rank

Joined 2007-07-16

PM

Thanks Juanmustard. I seen what you were talking about.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2007-07-25

PM

Does he give lessons?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-10-06

PM

Mine was similar and i got front row tickets and all his band signed my old style bach case (exempting Wynton himself) :(

Signature

Bach Ultr@strad

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

Fat_frank Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Does he give lessons on music?

Yeah, does he provide lessons? That would be fantastic. I will be very happy when such as Wynton would be my music teacher.