Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Classical Marsalis?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2006-03-21

PM

Jazz is all well and good, but there are those of us who understand classical much better. Is Mr Marsalis going to be recording any classical albums in the near future? Does he do classical concerts, or is it mainly just jazz (with his septet and also the lincoln jazz group)? I’ve always liked his classical disks SO MUCH, and I know I can’t be the only one. So how ‘bout it? What can we expect to see in the coming months?

The Classical side of the force…
Paul Haverstock

P.S. I just returned from the Septet’s performance in Lawrence, KS—it was AWESOME! Thanks Mr Marsalis. :-)

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

On 3/16/03 at Orchestra Hall in Detroit, Mi Wynton Marsalis Septet performed and it was great however I was not able to get a program of the show, how can I get one?  I would also like to know if the recording from that show will be on CD?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Does anyone know the name of the songs that Wynton Marsalis played at Detroit’s show on 3/16/03 at Orchestra Hall?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Paul,

I think I know how you feel, as i’ve always loved Wynton’s classical albums. But I think he made a decision long ago that it’s just too difficult for him to keep on touring in both “formats”. So my guess would be that apart from very exceptional concerts (and I don’t know about any of those) Wynton is focusing on promoting jazz and jazz education. And believe me, that’s quite a task!

Cherish in the classical albums you have and keep your ears open!

Christof

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 89

Joined 0

PM

Yeah the classical is good, but the Jazz is so much better!