Total Posts: 85

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

I’ll be there. Anyone else?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

I will be there. If all prevails, I plan to attend the Savannah show the following day.

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-08-15

PM

I’ll be there on the 23rd and like Sonalii, I will be at the Savannah performance.

RankRankRank

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

MAN. I want to be at the Savannah show, also.

Definitely not fair, guys.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Looks like a quorum!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Hey glo,

I just sent you an email!

I’m off and running…back later.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Forum quorum question to Luigi - If the forum makes it happen, this could be the first Annual Meeting of your fan club (on) site. Could you consider a direct flight to Atlanta from Italy?... Then we’d have an official quorum…or… How about teleconferencing? I bet Woodruff wouldn’t mind… Southern hospitality, you know…and the band doesn’t travel here very often. We’ll see how plans develop! Glo

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Luigi, are you coming?

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-04

PM

NIce idea gloria….but i can’t fly now.

It’s impossible for me to come there.

We can teleconference with skype maybe….

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

OK, Luigi! We’ll plan ‘Skype’ communication when we get closer to the concert date in March! Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Did anyone else attend? From the moment the orchestra walked onstage and Wynton appeared to thunderous applause, you knew it was going to be a spectacular show. The orchestra did not disappoint. As Wynton introduced the night’s material, he made a statement that set the tone for the evening: “We don’t believe in segregating our material.” True to his word, that’s exactly how the evening transpired, starting with a rousing rendition of “Autumn Leaves” set off by Wynton’s blistering solo, followed by “Blue Skies” as performed by the Benny Goodman orchestra, with solos by Walter Blanding, Marcus Printup, Dan Nimmer and Joe Temperley. Next was an arrangement by Ted Nash of John Coltrane’s “My Favorite Things” for 5 soprano saxophones with solos from Ted Nash, Dan Nimmer, Sherman Irby, Joe Temperley, Victor Goines and Walter Blanding. This was followed by “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”

Then the band launched into a lively take of “A Night in Tunisia” with Marcus Printup on lead trumpet. Afterwards, Marcus took the mike and lead the band into a New Orleans style Happy Birthday tribute to his mom. What followed was a surprise appearance by Bob Havens, a trombonist and member of both the Lawrence Welk band and Al Hirt’s band playing “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans.” After he played, Wynton emphasized how even the Lawrence Welk band could swing and how you don’t have to have long hair or a grill to be able to play-all you have to do is play.

Following the intermission, the orchestra opened with “I’m Going to Lay Down My Burden Down by the Riverside” featuring one of the newest members of the orchestra, trombonist Elliot Mason. This was followed by “On the Sunny Side of the Street,” with perhaps one of the best performances of the night by Sherman Irby on saxophone. “All of Me” followed with a phenomenal solo by Chris Crenshaw. Both of these performances received a rousing standing ovation from the audience. Perhaps the highlight of the evening was a performance of “Cherokee” with Walter Blanding on saxophone and his mother providing vocals. She is not only a jazz musician; she is also a great singer, bringing to mind Ella Fitzgerald, Betty Carter and Sarah Vaughan. The show concluded with “Rhapsody in Blue,” again showcasing the talents of Joe Temperley’s melodic baritone saxophone and the full rich sound of Ryan Kisor.

After much applause, Wynton returned to the stage, along wiht Dan Nimmer, Ali Jackson and Carlos Henriquez playing a song that currently escapes memory. Their appearance together was an added bonus to an already incredible show. They were later joined by the entire orchestra for “April in Paris” which featured another solo from a new member of the Lincoln Center Orchestra trumpeter Michael Rodriguez. As the band came to the close, Joe Temperley leaned into his mike and with a robust one more time, the band continued to play before launching into anothe one more time once again.

Wynton introduced each song with stories from the road, such as the 4:00am phone call from Dizzy Gillespie, missing Duke Ellington’s performance to watch the Oakland Raiders play, dispelling the many myths surrounding Duke Ellington’s body of work (a visit to the Smithsonian is a must). A flawless performance from beginning to end.

Afterwards I was able to meet and speak with both Wynton and Paul Rogers, the illustrator for Wynton’s Jazz ABZ. I had my picture taken with Wynton and was able to give him some drawings I’d done inspired by his music. As always, he was so gracious and actually touched by the gesture. I felt honored to be able to spend those few moments with him and be able to express to him how much his work has influenced and encouraged me. His kindness makes him that much more special to me. This was truly a wonderful evening.

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-08-15

PM

I must ditto the summary above. I didn’t get a chance to go back stage however, I saw Ryan Kisor on the way back to the hotel and mentioned to him I enjoyed the program.

The LCJO really swings.

I missed the arranger on April In Paris, does anyone know? I seem to remember that same arrangement in the movie Forget Paris. 

I’m outta here on the way to Savannah!

RankRankRank

Joined 2006-11-16

PM

Oh, man, guys. I’m still crying from last night. Way too amazing.

On my way in, I actually saw Wynton walking on the same sidewalk. That was worth my 90 bucks right there. Just seeing him right after we get off of the subway is something else.

The show was incredible, though. The arrangement of Autumn Leaves and Blue Skies drove my up the wall. One of my favorites. And Marcus Printup… Oh, man… He blew me away multiple times through out the night.

After the show I talked with Wynton like usual. He’s such a wonderful guy. I know I’ve said all of this stuff before, but it can be said over and over. He’s just the sweetest, most genuine guy ever. I also met Marcus, another seemingly flawless personality. That was just icing on the cake. Good Lord, it was too much.

But, yes. Absolutely amazing. I just don’t know what to say. I don’t. Amazing.  Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing.

Hey, Sonalii, did you happen to be the guy who gave Wynton a silver bag of something?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

No Nic, I’m not a guy. I’m the girl who gave him the artwork. Were you one of the three guys he talked to briefly and then asked to stick around? You are right, he is one of the sweetest, most genuine person you ever met. As I was talking to him, he listened intently because I was speaking from the heart and truly find inspiration in all he does. I was a bit nervous but he puts you at ease with his warmth and sincerity. Just a wondeful person. Last night was truly amazing and it is one show I won’t forget.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-04

PM

Excellent summary Sonali….it’s nice for an article on home page….

Do you have a photo with Wynton that you want posted in our gallery ?

luigi

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Luigi,

My photo with Wynton didn’t quite turn out; I’m trying to correct it and if I’m able, I will post it. Wynton’s photographer took several pictures and should be emailing them to me and once I receive them, I will post them here as I’m sure they will be of better quality. Feel free to use the summary for the homepage.

Sonalii