Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Music Schools

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

Matt -

Sounds like you’re serious.

I can get you in touch with Mr. Laureano through a friend of mine in Minnesota’s brass section. Out of concern for internet privacy and all that, what would be an okay and private way to exchange contact information? Anyone here with any clue? How does the private messages thing work? hmmmmm…what about this - how about when I speak with my friend next week I ask him to talk to Laureano about you and tell him about the stuff you’ve told us above in terms of your background, and then after I hear back from him I let you know and you have your HS band director call the orchestra offices and leave a message for him so he can contact you? Would that work?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=142

This is a forum called Manny 911…you can contact him there or if Bandlady can hook you up, cool…you can also contact me offline and I’ll put you in touch.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

This sounds like a happy ending, or beginning! Hope Matt informs us of his progress. G.

RankRankRank

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

Matt -

Spoke with my friend last night, and he will mention this to Manny this week and I’ll get back to you when I hear from him. (He said that there’s something that the orchestra is doing in a “side by side” with the All- State groups you’re in next month, so maybe somewhere in there would be a good time to grab some time?) Also, he suggested I make sure you know about the youth orchestra Manny does out there. You too far away in the state for that to be a possibility?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Yeah the All State Choirs and the Minnesota Orchestra are puttong on a concert on Friday February 16th. I just found out about Minnesota Youth Symphonies this year and, unfortunately missed the audition.

RankRankRank

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

Matt -

All set. Mr. Laureano was agreeable to your contacting him, and I think I just managed to leave you a private message on here with the info you’ll need to do that, but since it’s the first time I tried the private message stuff, let me know if you got it, okay? (And of course keep the info to yourself out of respect for Mr. Laureano’s privacy and that of his colleagues - always a good thing to begin to learn discretion early if you’re gonna be a musician!)

As for others who may be wondering why I didn’t just ask Matt for HIS contact info, I have two teenagers myself and teach 18-25 year olds who seem to live online, so I always always always want to remind kids they have to be very careful online with their personal information, so would not want to ask Matt for any contact info at all. Young people on this forum - pay attention please and be careful when you are online!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Well said, Bandlady!! It’s such a different world today than the one we grew up in!

I’ve been observing teens, including mine, are surfing more than watching tv these days. Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

THANK YOU!

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

I agree with what most members here told you. Since you are still a junior, you have an ample time to dedicate to your music education and research a lot more. Study music theories. Check out music camps. You could still enhance your talent and skill. Best of Luck.