Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

transposition

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-02-07

PM

Hey,

I’ve been doing a lot of transcriptions lately, but I don’t know how to approach it right. I’ve been learning the notes first and then trying to get the rhythms. It is proving to be very difficult. I don’t like already done transcriptions from online sources or books. I like to actually learn the solos and not just read them.

Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-02-07

PM

damn it, i meant to title it transcription.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

A great way to do this, I have most of my students do it this way, is to not notate the rhythm.I have them place noteheads on staff paper in the order the are played but learn the rhythm by ear…I believe it is a bit more “organic” method and is more authentic sounding ....good luck.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

J: So you write out the melody lines first, only a few measures at a time? What about the harmonic progressions? Do the transcriptions look more like lead sheets? Thanks, Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Not really…..I primarily transcribe solos, which I almost always learn by ear…when I transcribe unfamiliar tunes I try to get the harmony first then the individual lines….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Well the best music students are ear players! Even so, do you recommend keeping notebooks for writing out riffs, breaks, transpositions? What are additional ways, resources or techniques to organize ideas for improvisation? It seems spontaneous improvising requires back-up knowledge and rehearsal. Jazz manuals assign writing chords, simple to complex, scales and modes, and often provide complex chord progressions (in every key). Listening and transcribing are as important as solo practice. G.