Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

The next Artistic Director at JALC….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

OK, now that the NYT has brought it up, who would you nominate as Wynton’s successor in 10-20 years?...who are the engaged, charismatic, dare I say, younger jazz artists that could follow his royal Skayne-ness? My nominations: Joshua Redman,

Sean Jones,  Aaron Diehl (Julliard Student)...who else….

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Irving Mayfield

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

MacArthur Fellow, John Zorn.

RankRank

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-10-24

PM

nick payton or Redman get my vote (not that the vote counts for anything) ;)

-T

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

Important in considering this question is that whoever it will be must have not only the stunning overall musicianship and love for and knowledge of the music, but must also be widely read and knowledgeable about society, culture, social justice, and must have an informed philosophy of the arts as being both reflective of and transformative of society. All of these things form a true understanding of the history of AND impact the future of the music. Along with all of this, the candidate must have a personality, worldview, vision of the art form, work ethic, commitment, and articulateness that is unsurpassed in order to communicate, inspire, teach and preach it effectively, passionately, and convincingly. Wynton has all this and more. (The person must also be really young, because I’m hoping that Wynton has another 50 years at - least - in him to keep on doing what he’s doing!)

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I think what many of you are not taking into consideraton is whoever succeeds Wynton must have the ability to run a large non-profict performing arts organization. The candidate must be able to come in and evaluate the state and health of the organization , in every phase..performance, education, philosophy, operations, finances, goals and mission statement. The successor may not have a hand in the day to day running of these things, but must have sufficient understanding of how the entire organism exists. Ultimately, the successor will have to determine if changes should be made..a good example is Peter Gelb of the Metropolitan Opera..already he has made sugnificant changes to make the experience of opera open to those who might not ordinarily have access it. He is giving the old Met a new face, so to speak.

Another thing about anyone who succeeds Wynton..that person will have to be able to draw money out of the pockets of contributors ...this is one of the most important successes of Wyntons tenure.(And it will be even more important after he leaves).

I named John Zorn, because he has been artistic director or curator of (admittly smaller) non profit performance spaces..(Knitting factory, tonic, the stone)..he runs his own record label and he has a unique and powerful artistic, historic, political and and philisophic vision of

music and it’s uses. His own artistic out put is immense. The Mac Arthur grant ain’t nothin to sneeze at. Some may say that he is to out of the main stream, but Zorn is one of the smartest and savey artists on the scene. J@LC would be fortunate indeed to have him.

By the way Careba, Nat Chinen ain’t no Gary Giddens or even Nat Hentoff, As far as over all Knowledge of Jazz, Phil Schaap has Gary and both Nat’s beat. But that doesn’t make him a great candidate either.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Since this may be ‘a ways off’, the future J@LC Board will conduct a search effort, possibly dividing the current job description into separate positions! Hopefully there will continue to be a strong, active and committed board of directors. It’s logical that a search committee would begin with management talent locally, NYC and Lincoln Center, and continue from there. Wynton’s legacy to this organization is excellence in musical performance, education and corporate management, with emphasis on “corporate” efforts, uniting diverse people and organizations toward collective goals. Blending artistic vision with corporate art!  Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

If John Zorn is so far out of the mainstream, then how would he be capable of the magnitude of fundraising necessary?

I agree with bandlady and think that the person would have to be really young…at least right now so that he (she?!) could begin to develop himself professionally in all the ways that would make him a viable candidate down the road.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Miguel Zenon???....it puzzles me that the truly “bad” young, intellectual, charismatic, jazz artists are few and far between, after the “pseudo renaissance” of the mid 80’s, early 90’s I was sure there would be a pile of young cats coming up to challenge Wynton on various levels (I’m not talking about that “what jazz” is level..he has enough challenges there..)....where are they? If Wynton “retires” (which I feel will never happen..) at say, age 50…who is currnetly in their 20’s-30’s that is more than adequate..assuming they don’t go for someone older than Wynton (sorry Rocky-that takes out Zorn…)....who is out there that can play on that level, has public recognition (or is developing it…), can attract an audience, educate,artistically lead, AND raise the big bucks, unless of course they keep ‘ol skayne around for that….it is a bit bleak…or isn’t it?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Jason Moran?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Juan,

Zorn was born in 1953..he is older than Wynton..I named him as an example of someone, though I doubt he’d want the job..He’s got alot of his own stuff going. but who knows?

I have nothing against youth..but It takes alot more than just being proficient on your horn to run an arts org. Wynton has that capacity because of his energy and experience…

Careba..I didn’t put a smiley face on my comment..not offense meant.

Dave Douglas is a sideman in John Zorn’s group , Masada. If you have never seen this group live, or heard the recordings, check um out.