Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

My Hero in the NYT

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ok, so I’ll share…“Our Hero” is featured on the cover of the Arts section in today’s NYT. The photos are lovely, he’s so dapper…“suavecito” I’d say. The article is by Nate Chinen and it is well written and respectful and could even make me forget I wanted to punch him in the nose about his pissy write up on Wynton with Strings. Yes, I can hold a grudge.

Here’s the link, hope it works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/27/arts/music/27chin.html?_r=1&th;=&adxnnl=1&oref=slog

If it doesn’t work, go to NYTimes.com and click the link to the arts section, my hero graces the front page (paper not internet) with a full-length photo as well he should.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 301

Joined 2006-07-17

PM

Wonderful! J@LC always offers something new. Dizzy’s must stay packed year round. Mr. Chinen may join Perspectives now, well, maybe not… Have ya’ll tracked Ernesto? Putting levees to the test, as well as a few politicians… and the anniversary calendar. Glo.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-04

PM

Thank you Jurzy,

i’ll post the link on home page….

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

The scope of Wynton’s involvement is tremendous. For those who question if Wynton is slowing the progress of jazz, this article simply refutes such a statement. I would love to have a physical copy of this article for my Wynton archives.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

Anybody noticed Wynton is holding a decorated Monette horn?  Does he still own/play one on occassion?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-04

PM

He still own the Nirvikalpa Samadhi ...but he doesn’t play it anymore.

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

Thanks Luigi.

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2006-07-18

PM

It would be great for Wynton putting in a new program in the new building of the Lincoln Jazz center. Im proud of him that he was able to maintain the Lincoln Jazz Center for a long time. I was happy by his accomplishments for what he’s doing for the Lincoln Jazz center and as an professional trumpet player, I seen the JALC website, and I see that it only has workshops, concerts for young people, education for young people, and orchestras. I think that they should offer jazz education for jazz players that are experienced or not. Such as teaching Jazz improvisation for all levels ,and have jazz bands or orchestras for all levels. That’s my opinion. The center focuses too much on making workshops for people to learn history of Jazz ,and not teaching the jazz player how to play jazz. The workshops are fine, it’s just that they should put some programs for jazz players to teach them how to improv ,experienced or not. I don’t how it would work or turn out, but I think that they should do that.