Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

time it takes to develope range

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Dear Mr. Marsalis,

I am 17 years old and have been playing the trumpet for 6 years now. I was wondering how long does it take to develope your full range. I have been wanting to be able to hit and play a double G for a long time but it seems no matter what I do I just cant make it. I currently can play a double F above the staff but I just cant get that extra whole step. The mouthpiece I use is a warburton 4 M with 7 backbore. I have an overbite in my teeth and have wondered if that was the problem and if i should get braces. I have tried many different exersize books like the charles Collins lip flexability book but nothing seems to work. If you could please share your opinion on my problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

sincerely,
Ron Sowell

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Dear luigi,

What is your opinion on my problem?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

May 6, 2004

Dear Ronald,

No, this is not Wynton.  My name is Steve Robinson, a freelance trumpeter in St. Louis, MO.  But I couldn’t help but respond so…

Hats off for having an F at your age.  At 17 I was struggling with high Cs, occasional Ds.  I’ve got F’s and G’s, BUT, I’ve been playing for 36 years!  -Personally, I prepare for the “Gig” at hand:

This weekend a Wedding (Baroque and Classical) so I’ve been focusing on
etudes, “Trumpet Voluntary”, etc.  -Also listening to recordings of Wynton doing the Hummel, etc.  Mouthpiece: Bach 3B.

For Big Band (I’m playing lead) or Pop/Rock I re-focus!  I’ll listen to Maynard, play Bud Brisbois Duets, play scales and chords (all keys) into the upper register, etc.  Mouthpiece: Bach 3E.  I also play with more force and volume!

Never stray from good fundamentals: tone quality, good pitch, a centered; focused sound.  -And there’s no better role model than Wynton!

Steve Robinson / Trumpet
Local 2-197 A.F.M St. Louis, MO
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)