Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

David Murray with Strings

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I had the opportunity to listen to David Murray “Waltz Again”..It is a Cd of his own compositions and arrangements for quartet and string ensemble..Murray is one of the most influential tenor sax and Bass Clarinet players alive, and this recording is nothing short of amazing. IF you are interested in hearing another way of conceiving strings in a “jazz” setting, run out and by this CD. Murray’s playing is wonderful.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ok. Ok. So, I’ll run…I am not afraid of the cold.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ok. Got it. “Pushkin Suite” will take me another few times of listening. It was too much for the first run. Liked “Waltz Again” immediately. There seemed to be an interplay between the quartet and strings that made thise piece seemed like a conversation rather than a series of separate statements…if that makes sense? Instruments seemed to be actually engaging one another, not merely letting one another speak…seemed invested in the theme. In any case, I have only listened to these first two tracks…will do some listening again today. Have been enjoying Thad Jones and Oscar Peterson these days. And Leo Parker…have been really, really enjoying Leo Parker.

Thanks for the recc…there was a trombonist I wanted to ask you about…a reference…what IS the guys name? I’ll check and post, woudl like a recc so as to not just go buy blindly.

IAJE meeting in NYC in January…anyone going?

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Ray Anderson, Albert Mangelsdorff, George Lewis, Roswell Rudd..and a whole other bunch listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_trombonists also .CRAIG HARRIS!!!http://www.craigsharris.com/

I’m going to IAJE.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Hey Rocky,

Who would you say that David Murray has influenced, either directly or indirectly? I actually had the pleasure of playing with him in a jazz meets chamber orchestra setting a few years back (like 12 or more…) the music was not as good as the “Waltz Again” CD but still pretty interesting….

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

This is a partial list…it includes contemporaries that David has worked with..Band leaders and composer who represent or come out his esthetic of wedding out and inside music..sax and bass clarinet players who like him, wed the influences of Coltrane, Rollins, Dolphy, Ayler, Ornette with Paul Gonzalves, Ben Webster, and others. (He and David S. Ware are in the same catagory as sax influences.)

Andrew Cyrille,

Andrea Parkins,

Andy Laster,

Anthony Coleman,

Ben Allison,

Bill Laswell,

Bill Ware,

Billy Bang.

Bobby Previte,

Charles Gayle,

Chris Speed,

Craig Handy,

Daniel Carter

Dave Ballou,

Dave Burrell,

Dave Douglas,

David S Ware,

Dennis Gonzalez.

Doug Wieselman

Douglas Yates,

Drew Gress,

Ellery Eskelin,

Elliott Sharp,

Ethan Iverson,

Eugene Chadbourne,

Gary Valente,

George Lewis,

George Schuller,

Gerry Hemingway,

Graham Haynes,

Gregory Tardy,

Hamid Drake,

Hamiet Bluiett,

James Carter,

James Blood Ulmer,

John Hicks,

John Hollenbeck,

John Lindberg,

John Medeski,

John Zorn,

Joseph Jarman,

Josh Roseman,

Ken Vandermark,

Lawrence ‘Butch’ Morris,

Leroy Jenkins,

Mario Pavone,

Mark Dresser,

Mark Helias,

Marty Ehrlich,

Matt Darriau,

Matt Lavelle,

Matthew Shipp,

Muhal Richard Abrams,

Myra Melford,

Oliver Lake,

Oscar Noriega,

Pheeroan akLaff,

Phillip Johnston,

Raphe Malik,

Ray Anderson,

Reggie Nicholson,

Roscoe Mitchell,

Roy Campbell,

Roy Nathanson,

Rudresh Mahanthappa,

Steven Bernstein,

Susie Ibarra,

Sylvie Courvoisie,

Taylor Ho Bynum,

Ted Daniel,

Tim Berne,

Tim Byrnes

Tony Malaby,

Zeena Parkins.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Ok Mr. Know-it-All, you are too fast for me on the trombone thing. I haven’t gotten back to my thought about who I wanted to ask you about! Your’re so cute. YOu get all excited about this music and I am glad. People like you will keep it around for all time.

In any case, I have been listening to Waltz Again all day and most of last night w/o much interruption…it is lovely. All of it. I have listened to “Pushkin Suite” over and over…the movements are passionate; the first opens with an intensity that is really invigorating; the second is like an emotional exhaling and builds slowly…just great music. As far as the shorter pieces, I like them too but think “Dark Secrets” is the one I like most. Just lovely composing and arranging…oh yeah, playing too!

So, thanks and I will read thru this long friggin list of trombonists you posted…the name I had in mind has GOT to be in there somewhere or on the sites you listed (I did check them!). You are so geeky!

I look forward to IAJE. Christian McBride will be speaking/playing at the January meeting of the Duke Ellington Society.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

There is a really great live air check or club recording with Leo Parker and Fats Navarro..I had it on wax, it is probably rare now…but man is that killin…Another great Baritone album..Serge Chaloff’s “Boston Blowout”. Worth checking out!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Session 16: Fats Navarro And His Thin Men (January 16, 1947)

Personnel

Fats Navarro (tp); Leo Parker (bs & as); Tadd Dameron (d); Gene Ramey (b); Denzil Best (d).

Selections

Fat Girl

Ice Freezes Red {Back Home In Indiana}

Eb Pob {I Got Rhythm}

Goin’ To Minton’s {I Got Rhythm}

Comments:

This is the first recorded union of Fats and Tadd Dameron. In the next two years, they would collaborate .

Session 35: Tadd Dameron Sextet (New York: September 13, 1948)

Personnel

Fats Navarro (tp); Wardell Gray, Allen Eager (ts); Tadd Dameron (p); Curly Russell (b); Kenny Clarke (d); Chino Pozo (bongos); Kenny Hagood (vcl)*.

Selections

Jahbero (2 Takes) {All The Things You Are}

Lady Bird (2 Takes)

Symphonette (2 Takes)

I Think I’ll Go Away* (not originally issued, but now available)

Note: Pozo appears only on “Jahbero.”

Comments:

This is the second Dameron-led sessions for Blue Note. Together with the first session a year earlier, they constitute some of the finest examples of small group jazz of the period.

I CAN’T FIND THE LEO PARKER/NAVARRO I REFERED TO, BUT THESE ARE GREAT.

Serge Chaloff (November 24, 1923–July 16, 1957) was an American jazz baritone saxophonist, and the son of a noted Boston piano teacher, Margaret Chaloff. He is one of the few major jazz performers on his instrument, and the first major bop performer, and was originally influenced by Charlie Parker.

first became well known as one of the “Four Brothers” reed section in Woody Herman’s Second Herd. He also played with Boyd Raeburn, Georgie Auld, Jimmy Dorsey, and Count Basie, as well as recording as a leader. His most highly regarded album is probably Blue Serge, with Sonny Clark, Leroy Vinnegar and Philly Joe Jones.

Serge Chaloff’s career was greatly limited by addiction to Heroin. After succeeding in giving up drugs, he developed cancer of the spine which caused his early death.

Retrieved from “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Chaloff”

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

How’d I miss this incredibly useful post?! Ha! No suprise at my age…just glad to have FINALLY noticed it at all and glad to be able to still see/read the type!!! Just printed it out so I can read it in detail later…conferencing to do for the next few days. I am all excited. You youngsters fill me with energy!!! I can’t wait to hear all the music…kids from all over!!! Young professionals, committed to their craft, committed to creation in a time of such destruction!!! I am so proud of them already! Just THINK of what they COULD be out here doing instead!

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl