Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

New Horn

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2008-03-12

PM

Can any body help me out? I am in the market for a new horn. Now I am playing on a Bach Strad 43 reverse lead pipe with weighted caps. I am looking for a monette on Taylor. Does anyone have on for sale?

Rank

Joined 2008-03-12

PM

How much in US$. Do you have a buy now price? Why are you gitting rid of it?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Hi Jazzman,

Before you consider buying either a Monette B993 or a Taylor Chicago Custom Trumpet, you really should try to play test them. Aside from the differences in weight and “blow”, the color and quality of each is very different from the Bach 43 you currently play. That may not be a bad thing, but you won’t know until you have had the opportunity to experience playing these horns. This may involve trying to find someone nearby you who owns a Monette that you could try. Many folks make the pilgrimage to Portland to the Monette factory to get the first hand experience. Taylor trumpets are made in England, so it’s less practical to visit their factory. If you call Andy Taylor himself, he may be able to locate a store or a client near you that has one of his instruments. Both Monette and Taylor have websites as well.

Also, check the “Trumpet Herald” forum where there are lengthy discussion posts about the pros and cons of both horns. Do as much research as you can, because the Taylor is $3000 plus and the Monettes start at $5000 plus and go up to $35.000. Obviously at those prices, you need to be certain that you are ready to spend that much money on a horn.

You can check the International Trumpet Guilds Link of Trumpet and Mouthpiece makers, which lists other designers of “custom trumpets.”

Hey, that Bach 43 with reversed lead pipe is nothing to sneeze at. There are plenty of guys who swear by their Bach trumpets, and wouldn’t trade them for any “designer” trumpet. It’s all up to you. Just make sure you have all the information you need before you buy.

Hope that helps.

Rocky

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Jazzman,

I should mention a common aspect attributed to the heavier Monette and Taylor horns that is either a blessing or a curse, depending on your point of view. A common complaint made by Monette and Taylor detractors is that the heavier weight horns don’t have the sound of the “traditional” trumpet. ( eg; the trumpet that has influenced the construction and sound of all modern trumpets, the old French Bessons.) The detractors contend that all the mass added to the horns cause them to produce a distinctly dark, “unique” sound, so unique in fact that they tend not to blend well with Bachs, Schilkes, Kings etc.(Again, you’ll find detailed technical discussions of these differences in projection, sound color, overtone series, and more in the TRUMPET HERALD FORUM.) If you discover this to be true , you can understand the potential for disaster if you show up with a 4 pound Chicago Custom to a section with three people playing Bachs or whatever. (Even in the LCJO , three of the four play Monettes, and Marcus Printup plays a custom trumpet made by Roy Lawler.) Interestingly, both Dave Monette and Andy Taylor have themselves addressed this issue and now offer lighter weight horns for those want to blend with “conventional horns” . (The Monette XLT and 2000LT..the Taylor “Legit”.)  It’s worth considering.
The nice thing about B.S.ing about horns is that it’s fun and it doesn’t max out your credit card.

Rocky

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Yo:

Mike Thompson has a B993 in brush gold and 2 mouthpieces for $7500 and no year waitlist. Lotta mulla, though it is pretty.

http://www.thompsonmusic.com

Rocky

Rank

Joined 2008-03-12

PM

Thanks , Rocky I will take all of your sugestions into consideration. What do you play and how long have you been playing?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I’m playing a Schilke B1. I’m 44 , and I’ve been playing since 7 years old.

Rocky

Rank

Joined 2008-03-12

PM

Rocky.  What Type of playing do you do?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Jazzman,

My background is in Jazz: I have played in many different situations and styles of Jazz.  In the past 13 years I have also branched out to study and play a variety of ethnic music..music of Scandinvian countries; Balkan and Turkish music.

One of my hobbies is New England Conta and Square Dancing, and so I have learned to write and play music appropriate to this; Irish Jigs and Reels, Old Time music, Bluegrass; Canadian Quebec Quois Crooked tunes, and the dance music of Cape Breton.

Alot of the above music has been written for string players in mind, so it has helped my trumpet chops and technique in terms of transposition, endurance and range. I been very fortunate to meet folks from from so many different musical backgrounds to play music for the love of it.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Hi Jazzman,

I don’t play the trumpet (played piano and alto sax for about 10 years, years ago!) but I like the variety you’ve introuduced in your own musical style with Scandanavian, Balkan and Turkish influences. Sounds really innovative. Is there any recorded jazz music for trumpet (or sax or piano)that will allow me to hear these influeces on the music?

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Jurzy Girl,

For Traditional Quebec Quois band employing a horn section, you can check out the recordings of La Bottine Sauriante. Zlatne Uste is a Balkan Brass band which holds a festival of Balkan and eastern European music every January in NYC. They have a couple of CD’s and a website.

The Finnish accordianist, Maria Kalaniemi has a couple of albums with horns.(She is phenomenal). Also, look for recordings by these Scandi groups: JPP, Vasen, Varttina, Troka..and the Brazz Brothers.

Dave Douglas, Matt Darriau and Brad Shepik have all recorded music that has elements of traditional Balkan music and a western approach to improvisation. Whether or not you want to call their music “Jazz” is up to you.

Some folks who play what can be called for better or for worst, “traditional” Irish, Scottish, Balkan etc musics, frown upon adapting a contemporary approach. I was once told that some early Contra Dance bands would play one tune, in one key, all night. Anything else, they said,
“Was a gimmick.” This story might be slightly exaggerated, but it does illustrate the point.

Most ” ethnic or folk” musicians I have met, are interested in mixing it up, playing traditionally a little, then, creating a more modern concept. Having a background in jazz I believe has helped me fit in many different styles and traditions of music.

It’s fun.

Rocky

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hey, you wanted a new horn. Well, monette trumpets are completely different than any other instrument. There is a way of learning how to play. If you don’t know how to use monette equipment correctly then you will all ways be off pitch center and you will be out of tune a lot. If you get a teacher that will teach you how to use monette equipment that would be good. If you already know all this and you know how to use monette equipment, then, someone selling one would be 5,000 dollars at THE LEAST. But a bach strad 43 is a fine trumpet, especially if your a jazz player. But thats all i can offer for you right now.
~Brian