Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Rotary valves vs. Piston valves

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Hey guys, I’m fairly new to this website…....from what I’ve seen it’s great! I’ve been listening to Wynton for my entire 12 year trumpet playing career, he’s amazing.  I need your help.  I’m looking to add a flugelhorn to my “arsenal” of instruments.  However I’m a bit unsure whether I should get rotary valves or regular piston valves.  Are there any advantages to rotary over the regular? Any reasons I should do one over the other? Any flugelhorn players that can help me out?  Or if you have any any information at all pleassseee let me know.  Thank you so much for your time guys, I really appreciate any input and feedback.  Take care & thanks again!!

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 0

PM

David,
The only difference is this. Rotary Valves tend to move short in action compared to pistons. The shorter movement MAY help more complicated pieces of music easier to play with the limited valve action. It’s all a matter of preference really. Hope this helps!

Matt

p.s. If your on a tight budget I highly suggest the Jupiter rose brass flugelhorn, but i’m assuming since you’ve been playing so long you’ll probably want to get somthing better, but hey check it out. I bought one and I found that it plays great for the money. Go to brasswind for some great deals too!!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Rotary is not necessary and out of the ordinary, just go with the regular

piston action..just my thoughts..

Raja

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Thank you for much for the responses.  My friend has a rotary valve flugelhorn and I borrowed it for the past few days, it seemed fairly difficult to hold.  I’m 95% sure that I’m going to purchase the regular piston valve flugelhorn.  It is comfortable to play and therefore lets me focus on producing a good quality sound.  Thanks again for the responses guys, take care!

David