Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Age to Begin Lessons

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

My niece is three years old and likes to spend time with me listening to Wynton’s music. She has recently expressed interest in playing trumpet. At what age do you think is appropriate for children to start musical instruction? If she is truly serious (which I believe she is), I would like to encourage her as much as possible and would like any suggestions as to the type of trumpet to invest in for a beginner.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Suzuki method is popular in some areas. Violins come in such cute small sizes! They look like toys.

I figure early music instruction begins at home…I always have music in my home. Always. Can teach kids to listen early, focuses their attention and helps them distinguish between different sounds of the various instruments. Short periods at first…15 seconds at a time, then 30, then 45…y c. If using solo pieces (piano for example) can play around with having kids repeat phrases and work towards tonal accuracy…kind of, you know? Piano is always an easy instrument to start with because it’s pure percussion for kids! Nice to the touch too. Even the tiniest of fingers can create sounds that are sure to delight. Easy to teach sharps and flats and middle C too. Easy to teach patterns on a piano. Can even teach a kid the notes as a precursor to the alphabet (A-G for starters and the rest later!).  Can teach counting (time signatures) easily with sound as a guide.

Trumpets? Later I would think, maybe 9? Piano is an easy instrument to introduce at any age. Don’t have to pick up or balance a piano! I had my kids on the piano when they could sit upright…just banging and the sounds would thrill them because they were making “music.”

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Jurzy,

Thanks for the info. My niece’s mom played violin as a child and is trying to interest her daughter, so I’ll pass this on to her. I’ve always felt music is an invaluable source for educating children and I was pleased when my niece expressed interest in wanting to learn music. I will do what I can to encourage her. I was thinking of starting piano lessons in the fall and perhaps with the two of us learning together, this will further her musical interest.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 104

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Now Jurzy-

Settle down. Take time to read and reflect on some of these topics. All don’t require your shared contemplation. Sometimes people are searching for the answer from that JUST RIGHT someone who not only knows what they want to hear, but also how to say it JUST RIGHT for them!

Although there is something to be said about Wynton’s trumpet and kids…As a teacher, I use him to instruct on famous African Americans, about Jazz, about heart, soul,history and deomocracy!

How is this Jurzy that you know everything about everything??

No disrespect ,but I am also a parent of a violin player who came home at five and said’I am gonna play the violin!’ ( and still at eighteen playing now over 12 years) She was also a former piano player (5 years then gave up)

I would not offer comment on this woman’s searching questions of her 3 year old neices’s musical future. Instead I might leave that to a trumpet teacher, a trumpet teacher parent, a musician, or a parent who had one start that early. (Wynton was six but who knows how long he was hearnng the trumpet in his head before that??)

There is always that someone who knows better….It ain’t me but my philosophy over time has become…........................................................................

Sometimes we need to just say hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????????

Love ya-really I do!

Me

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Well SHE asked the question and if you ask, ya gotta figure you’ll get an answer…(especially, most especially, from me) unless, of course you state in advance that its a rhetorical question. So now! ANd even then I might add a thought!

And while I do not know everything about everything, I do have an opinion about a lot of things (you know what they say about opinions!) and so I express them! I have never ever been short on words (can’t you tell?)

Besides, this site gives me reason to think about a lot of things that I wouldn’t ordinarily think about and so I share! That’s what we’re here for and if you don’t like it…then…well, you just don’t!

And for the record, I do say “hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm” sometimes, and then when I have an idea, I express it!

Gotta big mouth, always have. I admitted someplace else that I am an opinionated smart ass and well, now you have PROOF! (bc I am sure you were lacking proof of this!)

And as far as an age for trumpet, I’m guessing…no basis for this at all other than the weight of the horn and thinking that I have not seen “kid sized” horns and that little violins are really cute (how’s that for depth of thought?).

And glad I have succeeded in ruffling your polite feathers. I was wondering where you were.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 104

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

I am here. I am not always polite but I have often been known for giving good advice.

Thanks for taking it on the chin!

I guess I am saying :don’t always venture a guess, sometimes just reflect and be a little less impulsive???

It gives the other person time to find answers for themself becasue usually they are stil thinking..hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

I am always here. I just don’t comment on every comment. I try to leave it until I am about to burst!!

As far as age to begin..

Ask a good number of people and let that baby keep listening to Wynton!! Try her on ‘Big Fat Hen’(Magic hour) , “The Court of King Oliver (Village Vanguard) and ‘Happy Feet Blues’(Village Van Guard). She will love them!

Me

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Thank you Me and Jurzy for both the engaging dialogue and suggestions. All will be taken into consideration as I continue to pursue this with my niece. I’m going to order the Marsalis on Music series to start her off and from there…....

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

sonalii Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> My niece is three years old and likes to spend

> time with me listening to Wynton’s play music. She has

> recently expressed interest in playing trumpet. At

> what age do you think is appropriate for children

> to start musical instruction? If she is truly

> serious (which I believe she is), I would like to

> encourage her as much as possible and would like

> any suggestions as to the type of trumpet to

> invest in for a beginner.

I guess at the age of 5 to 7, you could enroll her at a music school already. Just continue to encourage her and let her love music.

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-09-28

PM

I would suggest to start your niece at the age of five, because there are many other outside forces that may influence what she feels that she wants to do. Also, I would suggest a Bach student trumpet, because it works for basic classical and jazz music. One more note, if she does get lessons, make sure they’re interactive. You don’t want her to lose her motivation for playing after all those years of investing your time and money into lessons, music, and the instrument. On the other hand you’re her uncle and you might not mind. Hope this helped:)!