Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Other instruments?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Just wondering, what other instruments do you play and which was your first? Why the switch (if any)?

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Other Instruments? You mean..there are OTHER instruments? YIKES!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

Piano was my first and i still play piano-hobby!But Trumpet since i was 9 years old!Trumpet rules!!

Signature

Janez Lorber

Kot pri Prevaljah 35

2391 Prevalje, Slovenia, Europa

or

Janez Lorber

Albertgasse 48

1080 Vienna, Austria,Europa

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

rhythm is spelled with a “H”, nic.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

Bass Clarinet was my first >.< I started playing trumpet as a second instrument two and a half years ago. Last year, in eighth grade, I made it my only instrument, but also took up flugelhorn soon after.

RankRank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2005-05-06

PM

Hear me out here…...When I was a freshman (back in 1977—B.C.? A.D.? - damn, I forget.) Anyways…..I was (in my deepest Indian voice) - “Low kid on Totem Pole”. The marching band (280 fools strong) was preparing Maynard Ferguson’s “Conquistador”. A big hit in the late 70’s/80’s. The beginning Trpt. solo was really lame. (I actually DO appreciate it more today than I did then.)

ANYWAYS….I got pretty bored after the first 3 bars….and, trying to impress a female drummer who had big ..uummm….t*its…I mean .. sticks…(drummers are usually the cause of all “unscheduled” events occurring during any given performance.)....when it came to the Bridge….I played it UP an octave…..just to piss off the “senior” first chair trpt. and to get the drummer girl’s attention….AND…I nailed it….Double “D” and all…....

The band director was kinda pissed about it, despite the advice of the “Drum and Bugle Corp” guys….so I decided to play the Tuba that afternoon. The director later told me that if I came even CLOSE to a Tuba again…..he’d have me arrested just on G.P. - But my Euphonium playing is not that bad!! Although I’ve “retired” my double high D…....my musical “lust” continues. :)

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

That is a really boring posting. ROCKY you play the organ don’t you? I think it’s you anyway that plays a bit like Jimmy Smith or was that someone else I saw in that ABBA tribute band the other week in NY?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

I’ve always played flute, clarinet and piccolo. I’m currently teaching myself to play guitar and I’m looking to start piano lessons in the fall. Never learned how to play trumpet- just like the sound of the instrument and the vibe of the players.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Do you use different instruments to express different moods? Perhaps what you want to say musically can be expressed more accurately via a flute, piccolo, piano…whatever… do you know what I mean? I still play around with my sax but there are many times when the piano expresses more clearly what I have in mind.

So, this might get into arranging but here’s another thing: if you play one instrument or primarily use one instrument, do you compose and/or arrange music? This way you could have the sounds in mind and assign them to different instruments in order to express your view. And here’s another thing, how do you get the notes “right” if you only play one instrument? So, if you have an oboe in mind…ok, let’s do clarinet for this site…so you have a clarinet in mind but you don’t play clarinet…how do you achieve the right sound for what you want to express? Just have the clarinetist keep playing until you “get” what you need?

And I wanted to play trupmet but was warned about lips. Played sax instead. Still love trumpet. Scared to try it now, really scared. I was worreid about blowing out a lung (at my age, you know) but with what I have learned on this site, now I’m afraid of blowing out who-knows-what from both ends.

dios mio!

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Jurzy,

Of course everyone’s physical abilities differ…that being said…the amount of lung power required and air required to play the trumpet is very exaggerated by folks who don’t play. The trumpet should be played with an ease of breath, a relaxed body, and an easy , efficient blow. The more you tense, and overblow, the less the instrument responds. The reason many trumpet players give the impression that the trumpet is a Herculian labor, is because this is how they were first taught..and many, not all, never fully recover from that early training. There are many qualified teachers, employing a variety of approaches, that promote ease of playing. If, for example, you watch Wynton, you’ll notice that he plays with very little external pressure (pushing the horn into the lips to achieve range.)...and his body is basically relaxed. This is in part how he can execute the technically challenging things he does..

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Yeah, well, say what you want hijo but I am no Wynton and I’m not about to soil myself over you!

;-)

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I’m sorry,

I though you said you wanted to try trumpet but had apprehensions based on what I thought was mis-information. I guess I should know better than to try and be helpful. My apologies..and as for said expulsions…would you “soil yourslf playing trumpet? That DEPENDS.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I can not believe that some of you fall fro some of the ridicolous postings on here!

They’re are almost Bukowsi-esque!

Indeed, extraneous pressure is a symptom of a poor approach to playing trumpet, but it does happen and so do the unpleasnt consequences obviously, though good players will be unlikely to experience some of the said side effects. head pressure is rife for lead players and oboeists

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Jurzy,

I don’t compose or arrange music. The instruments I play today are an extension of my music education from elementary school to high school. Usually when I play, it’s more or less an outlet to express myself musically. As far as getting the “notes right”, I try to mimic the sound of the piece as closely as possible through the instrument I’m playing. Sometimes I’m successful, sometimes not. That’s the pleasure I get from just playing. Anyway, playing music is just another extension of my first love which is painting. I work in different mediums (acrylics, oils, pastels, watercolor and goauche) in order to express my artistic visions. Sometimes when I’m working on a piece, I’ll get distracted or frustrated because it’s not materializing as I envisioned, so I’ll get my flute and start playing to bring me back to where I need to be. My primary focus is my art and I use music as a visual aid to what I do.

RankRank

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2011-06-08

PM

sonalii Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> I’ve always played flute, clarinet and piccolo.

> I’m currently teaching myself to play guitar and

> I’m looking to start piano lessons in the fall.

> Never learned how to play trumpet- just like the

> sound of the instrument and the vibe of the

> players.

Like sonali, I am as well played the flute, clarinet but not the piccolo. I know how to play the piano and guitar. Well guitar was the first instrument that I played, as well as my first formal lessons.