Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Bore size

RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

Can anyone tell me what “Bore Size” is? What specific part of the trumpet is being measured when the bore size is being determined? Also how does it affect your sound?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Scatanas, there is NO industry standard in bore size measurement, DO NOT consider it in your search for a trumpet, it is irrelevant, if you thoroughly try out a horn and it works for you then go with it, dont worry if it is a .462 or .470 or whatever BS they tell you.  AND yako your thing about large bore=more air is not always true, i have played medium bore horns that air less efficient than some large bore horns, god knows what the “bore size” of the monette b-993 i am going to have before long, but it is one of the most efficient horns that i have ever played, if you play correctly it is extremely easy to play.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

No yako i ordered the classic, i blind tested the Prana and classic both with Prana mouthpieces and found a difference but i really wouldnt call it a “better” difference just a difference plus i am a high school student and nine thousand is already a lot for me to swing on a horn so 12 thousand for the Prana version was just a little off the wall, i am sure that as i grow and mature as a player i will probally sell and buy many monette horns because Dave is constantly making better horns, at a rate that many of the professionals that play them cant even keep up with but i mean they have 90% resale value so you cannot be beat.