Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Marcinkiewicz trumpets

RankRank

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

Does anyone know if Marcinkiewicz trumpets are good? I’ve heard only good things about them, but i haven’t played one yet? And how do they compare with Schilke?

Thanks

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

RankRank

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

i know about these sites already but I wanted to know what you guys that played them think.

I mean would the manufacturers ever post something like “This horn isn’t too great” on their website?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I love Schilkes. I play a B1 and it is the best horn I have ever played. M’s trumpets are well crafted, and I know there are those who swear by them, but I wasn’t overly impressed with them. The intonation was okay, slotting average, and sound color nothing special. I also use a Monette mouthpiece, and either because of M’s receivers and tapers, they just don’t work. At a brass conference once, the guy from Marcinkiewicz practically threw a snit when he saw me try to play his horns with a Monette….oh well.

RankRank

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

Thanks Rocky James

I guess in the end it will be up to me. I plan on going to Woodwind and Brasswind in Indiana and trying different horns out. I just wanted to get a head start I guess. I plan on buying a trumpet later on this year, and I am willing to go somewhere between $1800-2400$. If you know anything else(if I could buy used Schilke’s or Marcinkiewicz’s please let me know).

Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

i have one its great and the mouthpiece 311

manuel

RankRank

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

Thanks Manuel but I already bought a horn.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

i played my also w/ a monette MP it also plays good - its just what you like - it works for me had my for about 10 yrs already

God bless you

Rank

Joined 0

PM

i still play my a lot done some recording w/ it http://www.faith257.com that song is not the one now but it will come up soon :) hey thanks i am not trying to sell my no way

your friend manuel

RankRank

Joined 2005-03-10

PM

I thought you wanted to sell it.

So, how long have you been playing trumpet and what kind of music are you into?

Sabin

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

ok, i’ve been quiet long enough. you get just this one post, so listen up.

i’m a former jazz pro of too many years, a veteran of bachs, yamahas and schilkes. after searching around for the perfect horn for 20 years, i finally found it: a marcinkiewicz, and it’s nothing short of phenomenal. literally blows away the monette, in all categories (though monette’s valves *are* sexy). regardless, i added an octave-and-a-half range in a week. yes, read that again, sports fans. my custom marcinkiewicz cost $4k, a steal when you think of the price of a monette (not to mention the multi-year waiting list). these suckers will be monette-priced once you start seeing all the biggies using them. many pros i know are switching for the minkie’s better intonation, centering, flexibility, feel, ease of range, that sexy (and functional) shepherd’s crook… words fail me. note that nearly every trumpet’s tone comes out like a laser beam; point the thing in another direction and you can barely hear it. the minkie sounds the same POINTING AWAY FROM YOU. hello? this means everyone can hear you wherever they’re sitting, and you can hear yourself—without studio monitors. yes, it’s omnidirectional, too. the thing is whatever you want, jumping from warm to hot to cool with little or no effort. lord have mercy. folks, let wynton play a hunk of lead for the price of a car. doesn’t mean you have to. oh, and for the record… all that crap about soaking your horn in liquid nitrogen… or getting dental surgery to improve your range… puh-leease. there’s no magic bullet for practice. but a smokin’ horn helps.

-axe

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 74

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Axe, i’ll let you know that your marckinewiz is not much lighter than the new PRANA 3 that Wynton is playing now, these are not heavy horns, larger bells and a little heavier but definitly doesnt qualify as a piece of lead, I have played the Marckinwiz horns and I am a monette client and i can tell you that to say that the Marckiniwiz have better response than Monettes is just stupid its not true, and being able to “hear” yourself like your saying isnt always as good a thing as it sounds, this could mean that the horn is not projecting as well and is why people usually complain they cant “hear” themselves on a heavy Monette, Taylor, Etc…, the vibrations arent reverberating back at the player they are being projected out of the bell at the audience.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Hey my friends

well i have had my for about maybe 10 yrs also - i play latine jazz ands big band - solo jazz working on my 3rd CD i got also the 310 hey axe what is the mouthpiece you play on, sir? check out http://www.faith257.com soon there will be some sound bites GOD Bless you guys thanks

RankRank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2005-05-06

PM

I know a guy who had a really nice “Vermeer” model. Loved it - Hell, he swore by it. He played it on a few gigs with me. Sounded great. (Although he said he loved his wife too!)

When he was going through a divorce, the Vermeer was the first thing he ditched. Not sure if there’s a connection there!.............hhhmmmmm.

I’ve heard they’re great horns. But “the horn don’t make the player”...etc., etc.,....etc.,...

Rank

Joined 0

PM

mr . g

well you right mr. g! “By My Spirit, says the Lord” that is how it is for me. :)

i am still with my wife and my horn! MR. MARCINKIEWICZ did a nice job to fix my horn i love it!

God bless you guys

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

axe Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> > ok, i’ve been quiet long enough. you get just

> this one post, so listen up.

>

> i’m a former jazz pro of too many years, a veteran

> of bachs, yamahas and schilkes. after searching

> around for the perfect horn for 20 years, i

> finally found it: a marcinkiewicz, and it’s

> nothing short of phenomenal. literally blows away

> the monette, in all categories (though monette’s

> valves *are* sexy). regardless, i added an

> octave-and-a-half range in a week. yes, read that

> again, sports fans. my custom marcinkiewicz cost

> $4k, a steal when you think of the price of a

> monette (not to mention the multi-year waiting

> list). these suckers will be monette-priced once

> you start seeing all the biggies using them. many

> pros i know are switching for the minkie’s better

> intonation, centering, flexibility, feel, ease of

> range, that sexy (and functional) shepherd’s

> crook… words fail me. note that nearly every

> trumpet’s tone comes out like a laser beam; point

> the thing in another direction and you can barely

> hear it. the minkie sounds the same POINTING AWAY

> FROM YOU. hello? this means everyone can hear you

> wherever they’re sitting, and you can hear

> yourself—without studio monitors. yes, it’s

> omnidirectional, too. the thing is whatever you

> want, jumping from warm to hot to cool with little

> or no effort. lord have mercy. folks, let wynton

> play a hunk of lead for the price of a car.

> doesn’t mean you have to. oh, and for the

> record… all that crap about soaking your horn in

> liquid nitrogen… or getting dental surgery to

> improve your range… puh-leease. there’s no magic

> bullet for practice. but a smokin’ horn helps.

>

> -axe

AXE MAN!

i am not prepared to believe that the mere acquisition of a horn gave you an octave or more in range! No way jose!

Like..my new pair of sneakers doubled my sprint time!

OK