Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

I really need help with this…

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 89

Joined 0

PM

Okay, now. I’m having trouble with my high range again… I’m getting up to a double C but when i play like a G or that double C, My cheeks puff out, not my whole cheek, i don’t know how to explain it but it’s like the front of my cheeks puff out. Is this supposed to be happening? If not, how do i prevent it? It sounds right, but i just don’t know. Please help! Thanks =)

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 0

PM

Nic i’ve learned the hard way doing that. I was taught that having your cheeks flare out completely messes up your mouth muscles and will cause you to ‘‘bottom out’’ meaning notes you once found easy to play may become difficult and you’ll have to re work those muscles to get to those notes all over again. Beileve me when I first got my braces I did the same thing and completely messed up my playing for almost 4 months! I find it very difficult to get to that third octive C with my cheeks inn after 3 months of being able to play it, but you have to keep them inn or your range will probably suffer for a while. Consider getting a bigger mouthpiece when I first got my bigger monette mouthpiece around three months ago I could barely play a G because my braces dig in to my gums, but now I can play a third octive A# comfortably and can force out third octive B’s and C’s. Hope this helps. KEEP YOUR CHEEKS TIGHT OR YOUR RANGE AND TONE WILL SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks Matt! One more thing. As in a bigger mouthpiece do you mean like a deep cup? Thanks again matt!

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

It should probably be both wider and deeper. If you give me the size and brand of the one your playing on now I can pick out one that will fit you well.

Matt

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Well, i play on a bach 5C. Thanks again, Matt!

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

I would probably go to a bach 3C. A 4C might be not be a big enough change so go with the 3C unless you like smaller mouthpiece. I play on a monette STC-6 which is really small, but I like it, but i’d go with the 3C in your situation. Hopes this helps!

Matt

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks Man!