Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

i need a good embouchure as quick as possible….

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Hi my name is Frank from Amsterdam,the Netherlands. I want to know with what exercise I get quickly a good embouchure. Hope someone overseas can help me?

Greetz Frank

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

There is no such thing as a quick fix, unless you are just naturally pre-disposed to the trumpet. Personally, I have found that working out of Laurie Frink and John McNeil’s book, “Flexus”, has helped improve my playing immensely. You can obtain a copy from Omnitone Records.

If you are interested in shopping around for a method, I suggest you try reading The Trumpet Herald. They have entire sections devoted to methods. But to address your first question, nothing but practice and perserverence will aid you in developing your technique and emboucher.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

I think you need to practice!:):):)

Signature

Janez Lorber

Kot pri Prevaljah 35

2391 Prevalje, Slovenia, Europa

or

Janez Lorber

Albertgasse 48

1080 Vienna, Austria,Europa

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

LONG TONES my friend, hours of long tones. You must keep your mouth corners and facial muscles rock solid while you do these. It will give you a heck of a burn, your whole face and chops will feel very tired if you are doing these correctly! REST when tired. Like weight lifting, it takes time to build strenth, but I guarantee you strenth will come.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Dont know how long youve been playin or what try Jamie Ambersold

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

One thing that should be mentioned. You should rest the same amount of time that you play. And you shouldn’t do exercises with a very tired set. Because, instead of reinforcing new muscle use, you revert to the old patterns.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

I am struggling with the emboucher, been shuffling between the smile technique and the tightening of my lips into a ball of muscle and it sometimes helps, BUT MOSTLTY ELUSIVE. Please help

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2006-07-01

PM

Hi Xoli,

Don’t smile, pull back, pucker or roll in the lips,never hold the lips rigid but keep them soft and pliable using only enough pressure to keep the mouthpiece firmly against the lips without air escaping. correct practice or pedal tones will help this develope. when going higher the lips contract towards the mouthpiece slightly, achieving a “grip” feel over time,long tones are boring pick up clarkes tech studies do the first page ex 1 8 to 16 times in 1 breath then go on to 2 and so on you’ll get more out of it than just long tones, this should get you started.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

Hello Frank. This is Michelle,and I want to tell you that it takes a long time to improve a good embachure. The only way is to practice every single day. Find exercises that work for you to improve your embachure. Organize your practice to sections (Catogories). For instance, Lip flexibilities, Tounging, Scales, Range Study, and Music. If you find exercises in a study book (Arban, Clarke etc.) ,find some that are confortable to work on for your level and embachure. Take your time doing these exercises than are easy and slow paced. If you improve ,then take it up tempo and move to a new exerscise. Practice exercises over and over until you improve. You don’t have improve an exercise in one day, it takes a while. The same advice goes with working on solo’s, sheet music, and etudes. If you are working on a solo ,for instance, take each variation by cuts( For Instance, Napoli: Practice measures #1-10, for dynamic contrast). It does not take 6 weeks to work on a piece, it takes a while, depending on how you practice and your level. Your embachure does not improve like magic, you have to work, work, work to improve. It’s like losing weight, you have to workout as a part of your daily life to get results. Your real question, is that the 1st step to work on your embachure is to work on lip flexibilites and long tones, it improves your endurance in your embachure so it can go with the flow. Then, work from there (double tounging, range study,etc.). Scales are important too. Work on the easier ones, choosing a articulation that you feel confortable working on( legato toungue, slurring, staccato, and marcato). Change up the articulations ,if you improve on one. I can’t say a whole lot, but I hope this helps. It’s up to you to follow my advice,if you want to. So if you need to ask for more advice, let me know.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-09-25

PM

Yes, long tones can be boring, but are necessary. I encourage my students to try doing them while watching cartoons with the sound turned off. When they do, they find themselves more likely to do them every day and for longer periods of time, since they’re not sitting there bored stiff watching the clock and wondering when they’ve done enough.