Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Atlanta Show

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

I thoroughly enjoyed last night’s show. I didn’t know what to expect. I surely was not disappointed. It was nice to hear Wynton’s humorous side. I was curious to know what type of saxophone Walter Blanding was playing. What made the evening even better was meeting Wynton after the show. He was even more gracious and kind than I remembered when I first met him about 20 years ago. He talked to my mom awhile about her first experience seeing him (early 80’s at Keystone Korner with Art Blakey in San Francisco) and he signed her program. I had Carol Friedman’s book “The Jazz Pictures” (Wynton is on the cover) and Wynton’s book To A Young Jazz Musician. I told Wynton I was a painter, how much his work has inspired me (he said thank you) and how I’m struggling with my work at the moment and asked him if he could write some words of encouragement/inspiration for me. He wrote a simple but inspiring message in the inside of the jazz book opposite his photo. I then handed him my copy of To A Young Jazz Musician and thanked him for writing the book and how it transcends to anyone who pursues art, not just musicians. I thanked him again for everything and shook his hand. Needless to say, last night was a wonderful evening and the experience of meeting Wynton again is one I will never forget. A true class act. I also was able to meet his drummer Ali Jackson and the new pianist (who is excellent) Dan Nimmer.

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-08-15

PM

I was at the Atlanta show and thoroughly enjoyed Wynton’s mastery of the horn. Especially the half-valve and slurring fluency he demonstrated in Free to be and Big Fat Hen.

Two weeks ago I caught him at the House of Jazz for the Full Steam Ahead program. It was truly awesome. I think I enjoy him more with his small ensembles. 

I got to talk with him briefly and asked him what he thought of Al Hirt as a trumpeter since I have never scene anything in print or on tape where discusses an opinion one way or the other and he advised me that he really did not know him. I mentioned that one of my favorite recordings was Al with the Boston Pops and he mentioned that it was the one with the carnival of venice and I agreed but he offered no more.

I was just curious since his father played with Al and he got his first trumpet from Al and Al is also from New Orleans. Al was technically sound and had both brillance and power in his playing. Some of his contemporaries felt he never played up to his true abilities. 

Juan, Luigi help me out. Maybe he didn’t understand that I was just curious as to what was his opinion of him was as a player more so than a personality. 

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Here you go dancing Nic! You should know better!

Where are pix?

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

lee Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> I was at the Atlanta show and thoroughly enjoyed

> Wynton’s mastery of the horn. Especially the

> half-valve and slurring fluency he demonstrated in

> Free to be and Big Fat Hen.

>

> Two weeks ago I caught him at the House of Jazz

> for the Full Steam Ahead program. It was truly

> awesome. I think I enjoy him more with his small

> ensembles. 

>

> I got to talk with him briefly and asked him what

> he thought of Al Hirt as a trumpeter since I have

> never scene anything in print or on tape where

> discusses an opinion one way or the other and he

> advised me that he really did not know him. I

> mentioned that one of my favorite recordings was

> Al with the Boston Pops and he mentioned that it

> was the one with the carnival of venice and I

> agreed but he offered no more.

>

> I was just curious since his father played with Al

> and he got his first trumpet from Al and Al is

> also from New Orleans. Al was technically sound

> and had both brillance and power in his playing.

> Some of his contemporaries felt he never played up

> to his true abilities. 

>

> Juan, Luigi help me out. Maybe he didn’t

> understand that I was just curious as to what was

> his opinion of him was as a player more so than a

> personality. 

>

>

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Lee said “half-valve and slurring fluency”...what’s the translation? I think I get the slurring fluency part but what does half-valve mean…I guess you press the valve half way down but what is the difference in sound?

I am trying to develop a working vocabulary to describe what I hear so it would be really helpful if you trumpeters would give technical analysis of what you hear when you hear musicians playing. Those of you who saw the Atlanta show (or any show), how would you describe what you heard? Think like you’re writing a paper. Not necessarily for a proper newspaper “review”...scaled down enough for layman’s reading.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-08-15

PM

Sorry, half-valve sounds are special effects and are another way to color the tone of the horn. If you hum and then squeeze your nose you will see how the tone of your hum is changed.(best analogy I can give if you don’t play :) . Likewise, with the trumpet, depending on the note and it’s location on the scale the effect can aid in your interpetation of your solo. Passages in some jazz scores may also be marked for this effect.

In sunday’s performance wm did so many impressive passages comimg out of this effect.

Hope that helps.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Cool. I have just sat here and hummed and held my nose off and on and your’re right! What a change! I don’t know if I have ever done that before! Cool.

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl