Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Wynton’s Pianist?

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 0

PM

Does anyone know who ended up being the pianist currently on tour with Wynton? I know Farid Barron played with the septet at the Dave Douglas gig, but did Wynton end up using him for this tour, or did he opt for someone else?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Keep an eye (ear) out for Armen Nalbandian.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Dan Nimmer is out with them right now. It will most likely be someone different on the next tour.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Dan Nimmer? I’ve never heard of him and would be interested to know a bit about him if anyone knows anything, such as, who he’s played with before, how old he is, what style he plays in etc…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 150

Joined 2005-03-14

PM

Dan Nimmer was amazing at last night’s show in Atlanta. He’s 22 and last night’s show was his 3rd gig with Wynton’s quartet. Outstanding!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

I saw Wynton and Dan Nimmer in Salina Kansas on March 22. I must hand it to that kid, he’s a year older than I am and I’ve never seen someone play like that before. The show was incredible to say the least and I’m glad I went.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

Dan is a 22 year old cat from milwaukee.  he went to Northern Illinois University for a bit then moved to new york.  now hez on the road with skain.  i met him at one of their gigs.  real nice cat.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Dan Nimmer is a bad cat.  Totally swinging and always supporting the musicians. You may not have heard of him yet, but you will soon. He’s crazy

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

I’m not sure what is up with you all, but the pianist that just finished the tour was Aaron Goldberg, a cat from Harvard…they must have switched at the end of March?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Maybe Dan Nimmer needs a fan club web site? Wonder what his musical influences have been…what tends to shape the style of his playing. You know, specific artists whose influences one might hear in his playing.

Wish I could have heard Goldberg, hear good things about him, would like to hear his style of playing.

Signature

Jurzy Girl

Rank

Joined 0

PM

danny is a bad boy. i’ve known him and played with him in & around milwaukee since he was in high school. just a sweet cat & an amazing player. i’m so happy & proud to see him doing well in NYC. believe it or not, there are some players in milwaukee. dan is just the next in line (of pianists) to make the plunge. starting with hazeltine > ricky germanson > steve einerson > now dan…

http://www.jamiebreiwick.com

Rank

Joined 0

PM

We heard him in Chicago a couple of years ago.  WOW!  WOW! WOW!  I’d like to know when he will be recording something, or is he on Wynton’s latest cd?

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Wow, I know Dan.  He played in my band, Soul Slipper, showed him some voicings, got him into funk and the next thing I knew he was in The Fareed Haque Group (great band from Chicago), then quit school after I’d hit the road for awhile.  I had no idea he was with Wynton, but I’m definitely not surprised.  He floored everyone at NIU when he was 19 and just soaked up everything in his path.  Way to go Dan!

Rank

Joined 0

PM

i think adrien brody really played Wladyslaw’s part with emotion and understanding

Rank

Joined 0

PM

For all of you Dan Nimmer fans, I strongly suggest you check out his album ‘Tea For Two’ - it’s awesome! A great mix of standards and originals. It’s a trio album with the same musicians that he is playing with at Dizzy’s club at Lincoln Center.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2008-02-29

PM

Wynton hasn’t seemed to be able to settle on a pianist after Eric Reed left his employ.