Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Red ring around chops.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Hello,

I get this red ring around my chops after playing for about 10 minutes. It’s not brusing because I don’t play with pressure, and it goes down completely after about 15-20 minutes after I stop playing. I’ve had it ever since I can remember. It’s not causing my chops any pain or anything like that, but it is really easy to see and I haven’t seen anyone else get it that prominently.  Any thoughts??

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

Yeh I use a monette mouthpeice and when I used a silver Bach mouthpeice I did get a red ring around my chops but I don’t with my goldplated monette moutpeice.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Go to pawn shops buy several mouth pieces, They even make wodden mouthpieces,plastic ,even glass.Might help to try something new,take your mouthpiece to a music store and have it polished.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

If your lips look like a slab of meat, cut, swollen and purple, I would sugggest that you re-evaluate the way you play. Pushing the horn into your face is going to shorten your playing life. And that ain’t no trophy maahn!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 552

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

Are you serious?! A prosthetic nose? Really? So, what happens when you sneeze? What’s mucus control like? CAn you feel when your nose runs? WHat about congestion?! Really? A nose? Wow. NEver thought about that. Hmmm. Are you serious?

JG

Signature

Jurzy Girl

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Frankie Fishbatter Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> Hey Rocko. before i ask you how adrian is getting

> on, let me tell you somat. the guy never said his

> chops were cut or bleeding, just that he had a red

> ring. that’s normal buster, he’ll get the drift

> about pressure but having a little mark here and

> there is cool. I should know I’ve had a prosthetic

> nose ever since the late 60’s!!

Wasn’t refering to original post..just about chops in general. I know lots of guys whose lips look like chopped meat..and they reach a time where they just stop working.

>

>