Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Range…

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 89

Joined 0

PM

Hey, there!

I really only need professional trumpet players to answer this question… Well, i’ve come to some pretty high notes and i don’t really kno how to play really high notes… i try and try, i get em’ sometimes but it hurts!! I have my teeth emprints inside my lips! Is it suppose to be like this? Will the pain pass as i keep playing? Am i doing something wrong? Just the main quesition is… How do i play high notes well!? HELP!

RankRank

Total Posts: 45

Joined 0

PM

Nic I know you wanted to have a profesional’s answer,but I to have asked the same questions to my trumpet teachers and even yamaha’s profesional
artist Bobby Shew. They all have basically the same answer. They told me the average 13 year old trumpet player should only be playing the third octive G, so the first one above the staff. But if your like me and want to get into the relativley high notes you should practice simple songs like Merry had a little lamb, twinkle twinkle little star, the french song, and hot cross buns, but an octive higher. If you don’t want to be seen playing these extreamly simple songs, I highly suggest the original version of my funny valentine. The one from babes in arms mainly because the hole song is relatively low and almost all quarter notes. This way you want be poping any blood vessels while your playing. This has helped get up to playing the third octive A, B, and C. After you reach this point try to play comfortably at a new note every on or two months. Remember to build up to the high notes and be able to play them comfortably before moving on and id if you get stuck at a note like I am at third octive D just keep at it because once you get usually the next note or two come really easy.

Matt

p.s. I’m going to my first Wynton concert in Millwaukee this weekend! Any tips?

What kind of music things do you do at school?

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

Sorry about all my spelling mistakes I just read it

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

Thanks, Matt!

O, wow! Good for you. Your first Wynton show!!! It’s amazing! You’re in for a real treat man… Good Luck! Bye!

RankRankRank

Joined 0

PM

O, do tell me what happens at the show!

RankRank

Joined 0

PM

Read the article titled Alverno concert.

Matt