Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Kathleen Battle

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Mr. Marsalis,

I had the opportunity to meet you after you lecture recital at Virginia State University in Petersburg in 1998.

Anyway, as I told you then….Kathleen Battle is my favorite soprano, and I wish that the two of you would collaborate again.  It is long overdue.  Baroque Duet was wonderful…..my students loved the video.

Take care

Rank

Joined 0

PM

It is my dream as well that Mr. Marsalis will make another recording with the glorious soprano Kathleen Battle. There are so many possibilities for repertoire. The “Baroque Duet” CD was one of the highest selling records of the last decade. Kathleen Battle is an extraordinary musician and has one of the most truly captivatingly beautiful voices ever to be recorded.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Kathleen was perhaps the greatest interpreter of art songs EVER. And what a voice. It is sad to say that her instrument has declined over the years, but much worse than that, her legendary reputation as the Diva of Divas has caused he to wear out her welcome in many of the major concert and opera houses in this country. She has been banned from the Metropolitan Opera and San Francisco opera to name two, for outrageous and enormously cruel and rude treatment of all the staff and her peers. THe annoucement of her ouster was met by applause by crew and company alike at the MET. It is truly a shame, because this made it impossible to hear her at her prime in this country. It remains to be seen whether she still has the chops and the drawing power to warrant another major recording with Wynton. Also, Wynton is no longer with Columbia..though it is not impossible, I find it kind of stretching the imagination that Bluenote would feature the two of them on a classical recording..(and I’m not sure if Kathleen has a recording contract.) Fortunately, we have that one fabulous document of trumpet and voice together..I think it would be difficult to top that one.

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 0

PM

Hi i am frank from amsterdam,the Netherlands i am so long looking for the video/dvd baroque duet does anybody know where i can order it?

thanks frank big WM fan!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2006-09-01

PM

You can get the Baroque Duet in video via the video link of this web site at Amazon.com. I doubt it will be on DVD. Perhaps you could find it at a lesser price on ebay.com or halfebay.com. Unfortunately the international shipping might be as expensive at the video. Perhaps look on amazon.com.uk, amazon.fr, amazon.de, ebay.nl, ebay.fr, ebay.uk where it will, at least be in Euro. Or do a search on the closest yahoo or google to you. Good luck.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Hello,

I wanted to reply to your message because my daughter and I had the pleasure of meeting Kathleen when she performed here in Buffalo this year. Not only was her concert absolutely wonderful, she treated everyone in the green room graciously. She was especially kind to my 10 year old daughter Emily who studies voice. Kathleen was very sincere and warm toward everyone, staff and guests. I hope that our paths will cross again one day!

Marisa and Emily

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

She is hot!!;)

Signature

Janez Lorber

Kot pri Prevaljah 35

2391 Prevalje, Slovenia, Europa

or

Janez Lorber

Albertgasse 48

1080 Vienna, Austria,Europa

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

Marisa,

I’m glad to hear that you had a good experience with Ms. Battle..perhaps she has matured and has finally learned that she needs people in her career. It is unfortunate that a good deal of her career has been marred by inappropriate behavior to the extent that she has become a pariah on the opera stages of this country…her treatment of peers and audience in the not to distant past has also been quite discouraging, so one hopes that by your description, she has turned a corner in her life.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

I must say that I have met her on two different occasions….once when she was appearing at a benefit ( I was in the orchestra) and she was a bit harsh…the other was in Wynton’s hotel room preparing to take him to a workshop, he hands me the phone and says, “Tell Kathy how to get to the workshop” Kathy , Kathy who? says I….“Kathy Battle”...he walked away to get in the shower, I’m standing there holding the phone…uh uh uh….right before he walks into the bathroom he turns and says…“watch out, she might be mean…..” and closes the door…she was cool though, and came out “incognito” and hung for a little bit, she had her nephews with her and was very nice….interesting, maybe she has chilled out….