Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Why do you like Wynton?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Mr. Marsalis has inspired me as a muscian to play with more spirit.  He is set apart from any trumpeter I have ever heard.  Very Spiritual!

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi friends i have been listening to trumpet players all my life and also play cornet and trumpet to about semi pro level.I think that what sets wynton apart from the rest is that he is the most complete player , some can play jazz great ,not so good classically , sure there are probably better classical players than Wynton,arguably Haken Hardenberger but he cant play jazz like Wynton(who can?) Also he is a real gentleman, i was fortunate enough to see him and the LCJO when they toured england(Newcastle city hall) there were two guys who had travelled 300 miles to see him and didnt have a very good view from where they were sat, at the end of the first half they shouted to Wynton on the stage and told him this , he replied that he would put that right in the second half,lo and behold for his penultimate number he left the stage and walked into the audience and stood right next to these two guys and played his part from there , he signed autographs as well before rejoining the LCJO on stage,that is the mark of a true human being and a real star.His music soothes me in this crazy world we live in .what a star

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 104

Joined 2007-01-01

PM

I like Wynton for his energy and enthusiasm. I like him for his genius and especially cause you can get up close and personal.

I hope he never becomes one of those elusive icons who hide behind their tour manager or team for ‘keep the fans at bay’. I think because of his intimacy and improvisation with audiences that he continues to have that extra spark!!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 89

Joined 0

PM

I like Wynton cause he’s all my inspiration…. besides my Lord jesus christ, who died for me!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 0

PM

Yeah he’s not arrogant like other players and that’s what makes him so admirable.  Down to earth and very willing to help another musician (trumpeter) out.  I always here stories about him helping younger musicians and kids, doing clinics aroung the country and stuff like that.  That’s why he has accomplished so many things because, he has set higher standards for what type a role model one should be.  He gives and ultimately recieves for his efforts…

RAJA

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-01-03

PM

Wynton to me is a very special person.  When I first saw him play, I had only heard him on records.  It was very exciting to hear him in the flesh.  I think he was playing the ballad “Embraceable You”.  I could hear this urgency in his voice and gentleness that brought a tear to my eyes.  That experience, changed my attitude toward playing.  I’m a saxophone player and everytime I play, I try to somewhat capture that experience on my horn.  It was as if Wynton was playing his horn for the last time.  I will never forget that night.  He taught me the seriousness of playing your instrument.  Thanks Wynton.