Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Your trumpet/mouthpieces??

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-08-24

PM

I have played on many horns.  King “Golden Flair” in high school was one of my favorites, then I got a King 2000 and I liked it too.  Then years later I switched to Yamahas and I loved the Bobby Shew 6310Z.  It was erroneously sold and replaced with a plain Yamaha horn(can’t remember the model #) and it played well but I wanted something different.

So I had a David Trigg Callichio made.  This was the worst built horn I’ve ever had.  The fit and finish was AWFUL.  Scratches were in the plating the day I received it (after waiting 4 months).  It was built inferior to any horn I’ve ever gotten my hands on and I will never recommend Callichio to anyone as this horn was over $3500.  I’ve played on King horns under $900 that were better.

I finally did my homework and landed the Marcinkiewicz with shepherd crook and I will most likely play this horn for the rest of my life.  Perfect build and has an incredible sound and response.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-11-24

PM

Mine is a 0.6C STOMVI made in Spain. Great one. For me one of the best. Very confortable to play high notes.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2007-11-24

PM

My trumpet is a Yamaha YTR 2335 that fills all my necessities when it comes to true playing. As said before the mouthpiece is a 0.6C Stomvi that is very confortable to play high notes.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

I play a Henri Selmer Paris Concept TT with brushed lacquer.

I tried some Taylors out when i bought it, but i thought they were too heavy and found the Concept TT to be much more free blowing.

I have a Henri Selmer Paris Flugel, but im not sure what model it is. I bought it from a lady who mainly sold antique brass instruments. The story she told was that Besson had bought the instrument to take it apart and find out what made it so good, she told me that it was “one of the best jazz flugels!” The pipes coming out of the valves are not like normal flugels they go horizontally. It has a really nice tone!

Rank

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-12-14

PM

question here I am not a trumpet player as far as actually playing the horn.  However, I have had to actually go on a gig and sing horn parts which was a very interesting sound because as a vocalist I had to blend with the sound of the other horns. but frankly as a blend the producer said he could not tell the difference. when put in a group setting. I am from california. But I heard another vocalist do it on Wynton Marsalis tune loose dick with wycliffe gordon. name whitney marchelle.  have you heard her do this? what is your opnion on this on how does this affect the mind set of other horn players on the scene.?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-04-14

PM

Bach 1 1/2 C plain and simple. :)

Rank

Joined 2009-05-28

PM

do you still have that mouthpiece denicola #3

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-05-29

PM

Well I play a Marcinkiewicz trumpet working with Zack on a trumpet now.

blesssings on you guys

Rank

Joined 2006-08-15

PM

I have a Cannonball 725 non-lacquer “Mad-Meg” finish that sounds great and projects like no other. Play on a 3C (for all around playing) or Shilke 14A4A knockoff from Kelly (lead use only) http://cannonballmusic.com/stone725.php

Signature

The equipment you play makes no difference if you can’t enjoy how you play it’s all about your Ego Machine!!

Rank

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

Bach Yamaha Xeno Bb. I play on the Yamaha mouthpiece that came with it… It does the trick but not exactly what I want out of a mouth piece, but close enough for now. At least until I get a better recommendation or get the time and money to go check out other mouthpieces other than a Bach.

My C Trumpet is also a Yamaha Xeno, but has been modified by Charlie Melk. precision valve alignment, along with a pitch finder (which I still to this day have no idea why anyone would ever want one of this, but it was on there when I bought it), as well as Charlie’s lead pipe MTV-525.

Also, I use a different mouthpiece for playing lead/jazz. Which is a Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1.5… That I love.

Rank

Joined 2006-08-30

PM

I have a 1965 Conn Connstellation Bb played with a Monette B2S3 and a B4LDS1 (I just moved from a B6).  I also have a Bach Eb (239 Long Bell) that I use a Monette E2S3.  My picc is a Schilke P5-4 and I have a Monette AP5L.  (All mouthpieces are PRANA). 

I was just up at Dave’s shop last week to get the two new Bb mouthpieces and the Eb.  Can’t wait to order my P-3 STC…

As for Bach’s and Yamaha’s,  I’ve never played a bad Bach trumpet…however it’s been a while since I’ve tried out their new horns.  I’ve always felt that Yamaha’s were too stuffy for me.  Aside from a couple of their heavyweight horns (circa 1996), I can’t say that I like them at all. 

James

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-07-09

PM

I think the Bobby Shew method works best. Having one mouthpiece that gives you an edge (smaller mouthpiece) and one mouthpiece for everything else (legit stuff, etc…).

Rank

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

Black Hill 1 1/2 B is my main playing piece _ really centers my sound

Vintage 80’s Bach 1 1/2B back up _ works

Vintage 80’s Bach 1 1/2C _ for those days when things are just not working out

Vintage 70’s Bach 3C - my tried and true I have played too much today piece

I’d love to get a 3C Black Hill I have had a forced lay off of 6 years and need to start over this is what I should build my base on.

Rank

Joined 2010-06-14

PM

I am playing on trumpet Vincent Bach mod 72, MLV and mouthpiece 1 1/4C for a 15 years…I found that it is very demanding. I am not practicing very often and, inspite that mouthpice has a beautiful wide tone, I would sacrifice a part of it for getting easier high notes an longer durability.

Maybe 3C?

What do you think?

Thanks in forward.

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

@seasoned

I heard another vocalist do it on Wynton Marsalis tune <<loose dick>> with wycliffe gordon.

im not sure that is the name of the tune, haha