Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Your trumpet/mouthpieces??

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

I’m currently playing a Calicchio 1S/7R with a Monette Prana B4S. Waiting for my Prana 993….with much anticipation

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

hello i play on a monette b4s and a getzen renissance silver with gold accent trumpet which will soon be up for sale in mint condition.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I play a Schilke B1 trumpet, with a Monette STC1-B2 mouthpiece. I also play a Taylor Flugelhorn with a custom V-cup Taylor flugel mouthpiece. I also have a very old DeNicola #3 mouthpiece..(very shallow) that I bought from him 30 years ago when he had a shop in Trenton NJ.(If your interested G.)

Rank

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

c mcdougall Wrote:

———————————————————————————-

> The guys at Monette would gladly make u a flugel

> mouthpiece, but you would have to send your flugel

> in for the piece to be made, call and ask for tom

> raney or dean comley(mouthpiece man).

I think this is true for all model flugelhorns except for Yamaha.  I have a Yamaha 731 and they were able to send me a B2 flugel mouthpiece without sending my horn in.  I think the same applies for the 2310 and 631.  Call Tom Raney to verify.

I actually like the Monette flugel piece over the GR.  The GR is too shallow for my taste…  too “trumpet sounding.”

Rank

Joined 2005-04-12

PM

I am new to the forum. I am looking for a Monette mouthpiece for my Bb trumpet (a Bach Strad). I have heard Tom Rainey’s name mentioned. Can someone tell me who he is and how I can get in touch with him?

Thanks.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Trumpet Bach Stdr LR43 72ML (jazz or classical) with STC-1 B2, B2D and STC-3 B2 81 Prana.

Trumpet Yamaha 8310Z (for lead work) with STC-1 B2L and LT B4LVS.

Cornet Martin Committee 1949 with B2FL (Deep Vee).

FlugelBach 183 with B2FLG.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

The balance and tone are both great, It’s just much easier to get a big, and more powerful sound from the Gen x as apposed to a standard yamaha or bach. It is a much more free blowing instrument (mainly because of the tuning slide design) than most other trumpets.

The valves are excellent. Although I have had some problems with them sticking, but giving them a good clean usually fixes that.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I play 3 different trumpets;

1 Courtois heavy silver bell (really powerfull sound)

1 B&S Challenger 2 light bell for a bright sound in high range

1 B&S Elaboration will heavy bell and matt for the dark sound, amplified with a Bach 3c megatome mouthpiece.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I play 2 trumpets

1 getzen eterna 2 in Bb

1 Stomvi Master in C.

And my mouthpiece is a Bach ! 1/4 C

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I play on a 14A4A Shilke for normal Big band jazz, then for the real screaming songs i use my amazing MFII, that thing will give your but cheeks a rest, if you know what i mean!

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I play on several different types of Mouthpieces my concert mouthpiece is a

Bach 1 1/2c Megatone

Bach 1E

I play on a Conn Bb Trumpet

Rank

Joined 0

PM

Hi,

I play Bach Strad Bb and C (37gh and H229gh) with both Bb and C Monette 1-1 mouthpieces. Great combination. I play too rotary Schagerl Hörsdorf H with Monette, and Yamaha picc with Monette 5.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

I have a Bach 3c mouthpiece, and I play on a Bach Stradivarious trumpet in B flat. Im the player who has big chops.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2006-05-27

PM

I have a King Legend Silver Flair with a bach 1/2c mouthpiece and i have a 1973 bach strad.

Rank

Joined 0

PM

1975 Bach strad ML 37 lightweight/ Yamaha 16 D mouthpiece.