Wynton Marsalis Discussion Forum

Your trumpet/mouthpieces??

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 292

Joined 2005-03-11

PM

Hello again,
What kind of trumpets and mouthpieces do you guys have??
I have a Edwards Generation X with brushed gold plate, with a monette PRANA B2 mouthpiece.

AND, what do you think of Bach’s and Yamaha’s?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 332

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

I have a Bach 43 Sterling Silver Plus with a 3C Bach mouthpiece

Signature

ADMIN

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

I have a Monette STC1-B2 that I use on my Schilke B1 trumpet. I have a custom Taylor Flugel mouthpiece for my Taylor Flugelhorn. I understand that GR mouthpieces (Gary Radke) have become extremely popular.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 93

Joined 0

PM

I have a B&S challenger trumpet with a stc-1 B2L monette mouthpeice.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I have a slightly modified bach strad 37-with a monette b4-a French besson picc witha bach 3e

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

Bach large bore cornet (short model) with a Bach 1 1/2 B mouthpiece. I am eagerly awaiting my new Monette B2D mouthpiece though!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 404

Joined 2006-07-09

PM

Monette Bb (older Art Farmer model) B3 Prana Prototype mthpc., my horn has the heavier receiver so I can used stc 2 mthpcs. Schilke gold-plated P5-4 piccolo, Monette Stc 1 C trpt, for lead playing I have an older LA Benge X-large bore #7 with a MF II Prana mthpc, I also have a NY Bach I play sometimes…. I might mention that several of my colleagues have recently tried these new ‘Zeus” horns, especially the Olympus and they really like them, I guess they are made by Kanstul….

RankRank

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2005-03-05

PM

I have a Taylor Chicago Custom Trumpet in Raw Brass with a monette STC-3 B2 gold plated mouthpiece and an older Bach Strd trumpet with a 43*lightweight upswept bell also in raw brass.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

I have a (Bb) Bach strad 180 LR *72 and a Kanstul ZKT 1510, with a B.Tilz-NEA 1C.
Also a E. Benge A/Bb picc. and a besson sovereign Eb cornet with a Dennis wick s (cornet mouthpiece.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 0

PM

I play a Bach Strad 43 lightweight lg bore with heavy bottom caps—mthpcs are Bach 1 1/4 C, Schilke 15 and 15B, and Marcinkiewics E12 Al Vizzutti model for any lead playing. I usually use a Sound Sleeve on any of the mthpcs. The sleeve and the caps temper the character of the horn enough so that it responds nicely but is not so bright of a sound. I have looked into the Monette mouthpieces and tried a B4LD which was too narrow for me—I think a 2 would be a better choice when I can finally buy one—I’ want the Prana model.

I also own two student model cornets, a Bach Shepherds Crook and a KIng 602 which blows very nice for what it is and a Yamaha 631 Rose brass flugel.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 492

Joined 2005-03-23

PM

A monette flugelhorn mouthpiece should definately be considered. Call the shop and speak to Tom Rainey. GR also makes fine flugel mouthpieces.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

I play a circa Mount Vernon Bach Strad (medium) with a Schilke 12 mouthpiece.

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 0

PM

Taylor Chicago Custom 46 in raw brass, with a close copy of a Kanstul M-B2 (copy of a monette B2) mouthpiece with 19 throat. 

I want to get a good lead horn though. I have a Yamaha 6310Z.  I love it but, switching from the open Taylor to that pee-shooter is gettin’ to me.
Any suggestions??  I was told that an Olds Ambassador would be a good one.

Thanks

As far as bach’s… They are not for me…. I’ve never liked them, except for one.
As far as Yamaha’s…  Great horns but, I don’t like the sound…..
This is just my personal account with these horns.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 85

Joined 2005-03-07

PM

Ooops, I meant a circa ‘49 Mount Vernon Bach.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 0

PM

I am looking for Pro level Yam, or Lawler, or Monette or others you think I should consider. Contact me. Easy sale

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

Joined 0

PM

I’m selling my Yamaha Bobby Shew model trumpet…  email me if interested….